REFLECTOR: Door strut review
Dennis Martin
dennis.doc at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 14:29:18 CDT 2009
A 76" prop? Size matters, eh? Now we all have prop envy. I made a point of
telling Craig Catto that I had lots of ground clearance, but I did not
dictate the length. I assumed he would take advantage of my extra height, at
least the same as yours or more (I've forgotten exact clearance). He went
for a wider paddle and kept it at 68". Which is better? I haven't installed
it. Should I consider having him re-cut my blades longer?
All the best,
Dennis
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:24 PM, <nmflyer1 at aol.com> wrote:
> Al,
>
> My doors do not go over center to the point where there is a noticeable
> downward positive force on the doors. You can push them downward and let
> go.. then they just stop. I think I found the sweet spot for my design, in
> that you can gently push them upward and they will stay where you put them.
>
> Honestly, after paint, door panels & upholstery, another few pounds of
> force could not hurt, but I have not found it necessary.
> I believe my design is aesthetically better than the factory one, but
> folks over about 5'10" may have to duck a bit. A small price to pay for such
> a nice looking aircraft.
>
> One more thing, I think my Velocity is taller (at the door base) than most.
> That is to accommodate the 76" 3-blade prop I have to (hopefully) handle my
> engine install.
>
> Patiently waiting for a nose gear
>
> Kurt Winker
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures at cox.net>
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Fri, Oct 9, 2009 11:34 am
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Door strut review
>
>
> Al,
>
> Well I have both doors off right now, so I'll have to wait a bit to get
> you a complete picture. here's what I did though:
>
> Kurt;
> Thanks – I understand what you did on the reinforcing. Mounting the strut
> bracket further down on the door frame gives it better leverage on the door.
> Does it go over-center before the door is closed?
> Al
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
--
All the best,
Dennis
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20091011/96ac2143/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list