REFLECTOR: Door strut review

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Oct 10 09:16:10 CDT 2009


I didn't know FG's were taller? 

You moved your thrust line?  I was cautioned about that when installing
the 520.    Interesting to see how that will effect performance?

Scott

nmflyer1 at aol.com wrote:
> Scott,
>  
> Miracle grow :)
>  
> Honestly, since I have the FG version, it is about 2" taller than the
> RG already. Then, on advice of Scott S., I moved my axles down about
> an inch. (Some of the bottom of the gear leg gets ground off anyway).
>  
> I also moved my thrust line up about 2". Those adjustments allow me to
> swing a 76" 3-blade CS, with the recommended clearance or a tad more.
>  
> Sure seems taller than that when I see others on a ramp though.
>  
> Kurt
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Sat, Oct 10, 2009 7:18 am
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Door strut review
>
> Kurt,
>
> how'd you make it taller?  I thought about doing that when I built new
> main legs but the blanks are only so long?
>
> Scott
>
> nmflyer1 at aol.com <mailto:nmflyer1 at aol.com> wrote:
> > Al,
> >  
> > My doors do not go over center to the point where there is a
> > noticeable downward positive force on the doors. You can push them
> > downward and let go.. then they just stop
> . I think I found the sweet
> > spot for my design, in that you can gently push them upward and they
> > will stay where you put them.
> >  
> > Honestly, after paint, door panels & upholstery, another few pounds of
> > force could not hurt, but I have not found it necessary.
> > I believe my design is aesthetically better than the factory one, but
> > folks over about 5'10" may have to duck a bit. A small price to pay
> > for such a nice looking aircraft. 
> >  
> > One more thing, I think my Velocity is taller (at the door base) than
> > most. That is to accommodate the 76" 3-blade prop I have to
> > (hopefully) handle my engine install.
> >  
> > Patiently waiting for a nose gear
> >  
> > Kurt Winker
> >  
> >  
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures at cox.net <mailto:ALVentures at cox.net>>
> > To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>>
> > Sent: Fri, Oct 9, 2009 11:34 am
> > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Door strut review
> >
> >  
> > Al,
> >  
> > Well I have both doors off right now, so I'll have to wait a bit to
> > get you a complete picture. here's what I did though:
> >  
> > Kurt;
> > Thanks – I understand what you did on the reinforcing.  Mounting the
> > strut bracket further down on the door frame gives it better leverage
> > on 
> the door.  Does it go over-center before the door is closed?
> > Al
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery> <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 260 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20091010/bd0fa167/attachment.pgp>


More information about the Reflector mailing list