REFLECTOR: Nose Fresh Air Vent

Brooke Wolf bwolf1 at tds.net
Fri Oct 9 18:17:04 CDT 2009


Thanks everybody for the input on the Nose Fresh Air Vent.  It sounds  
there are some good uses for it.....eyeball vents, avionics cooling,  
cooling pilot side oil duct lines, etc.  I also like the idea of  
incorporating a fan for use during ground operation.  Given little  
penalties in drag and weight, I think I will end up having one.   
However, since it is not in the critical building path, I think I'll  
defer the decision till late in the process.

John, I don't understand the cooling of the oil filter.  Did you mean  
"oil cooler"?  If so, my setup has a dedicated NACA duct on the pilot  
side for that.  Is yours different?

One thing I am going to do (as a lot of other builders have), is  
install a bilge blower to recirculate cabin air through the oil cooler  
during cold wx operations.  I like Don Johnson's set up for that.   
But, since my pilot side intake (NACA) duct is already installed, I am  
going to take a little different tact.  Mine will be "ground  
adjustable only" .ie. air through the oil cooler will either come from  
the outside through the NACA duct or from the inside through a hole on  
the back side of the NACA duct through which air from the cabin will  
flow through a bilge blower.  Before flight, either the outside air  
intake, or the inside air intake will be covered, depending on my  
anticipated  heating requirements.  Still in the planning  
stages....we'll see!

Brooke

>
>
>
> From: <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> Date: October 9, 2009 11:09:35 AM EDT
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nose Fresh Air Vent
> Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org 
> >
>
>
> I have adequate cooling from the overhead NACA.  I have 2 uses for  
> the copilot side nose vent.  One is cooling air for my oil filter.   
> The second is cooling air for the pilot side duct so the oil lines  
> don't heat the cabin during summer.  I like the idea that was  
> mentioned of a bilge blower for cooling during taxi.  That is very  
> important.  However I find having the door open works fine for that.
>
> John
>
> --- bwolf1 at tds.net wrote:
>
> From: Brooke Wolf <bwolf1 at tds.net>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Nose Fresh Air Vent
> Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 18:12:03 -0400
>
> Does anybody have any thoughts on the necessity or advisability of a
> NOSE fresh air vent in the XL?  Does the overhead plenum provide
> enough fresh air or is it a good idea to have the additional one
> coming from the copilot side of the nose?  I never could figure out
> why we have both!  Is there another use for the vent air coming from
> the nose?  Before I cut another hole I thought I would poll the
> group.   Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brooke XLRG-5
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/ 
> maillist.html
>
>
>
>
>
>
> From: "Glenn Babcock" <glennbabcock at roadrunner.com>
> Date: October 9, 2009 11:16:07 AM EDT
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nose Fresh Air Vent
> Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org 
> >
>
>
>>> I find the heater air can sometimes be too hot, and if I partially
>>> close the heater flap it just cuts the flow.
>> Boy, now thats a statement you don't ever hear out in the mountain
>> west!  Nose cooler/heater putting out to much heat! Ha!
>
> That's not to say the heater always puts out enough heat!  I did a  
> trip last winter where the OAT ranged from 0F to -7F.  The  
> vernatherm must have shut off because I had NO heat.   And to make  
> it really interesting I decided before I left that I would be warm  
> enough in just a business suit!!!
>
> Regards,
> Glenn
> N697RG SERG
> http://lakenormanairpark.org/
>
>
>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20091009/3371fdd4/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list