REFLECTOR: Door strut review

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Fri Oct 9 09:51:46 CDT 2009


Al, 



Well I have both doors off right now, so I'll have to wait a bit to get you a complete picture. here's what I did though:



Added a piece of Triax across the top of the door (wide protrusion/stiffener) then feathered it into the hinge pads & door lip with 3 piles of fine bid.



I also ran the fine bid down the stiffiners for & aft of the window about 2/3 of the way (to the bottom of the window). 



Then I ran a 5" piece of Triax in the fuselage, next to the upper door opening. It starts at the windshield, runs next to the door opening and aft to behind the carbon beams. This is done on each side. 

I also ran Bid (few plies if I remember right) from the firewall, up onto the roof (centered on the underside of the NACA scoops) all the way up to overlap the triax mentioned above. 



The gas spring attach point on the aft beam is about 3.5" above the related (factory) door pin spot. 



The picture below shows where the gas spring mounts on the door & the finished product. 



I can take better pictures once it is together... but don't seem to have any of the stiffenening. At least not on this computer.. I may have some laying around somewhere. 



Kurt 




















-----Original Message-----
From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures at cox.net>
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wed, Oct 7, 2009 8:51 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Door strut review











I purchased some gas springs that had half the force of the factory originals (mine are 30 pounds). Then I ended up working on the attach points to stiffen things up on the door, and find a place that would work for mounting the new springs. 



The good news, My doors do not bend up at the back and they don't twist the door. The not so good news is that the door opens about 4" shorter height than the factory ones. Works for me since I'm short 


 

Hi; Kurt,

 

I, for one, would like to see what you did – or at least get further explanation.

 

Thanks,

 

Al

 




_______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20091009/fba9a011/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Door2.jpg
Type: image/pjpeg
Size: 64555 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20091009/fba9a011/attachment-0001.bin>


More information about the Reflector mailing list