REFLECTOR: Nose Fresh Air Vent

Glenn Babcock glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Fri Oct 9 07:43:58 CDT 2009


I agree, in the south you want both.  The overhead puts out a ton of air, 
but all of it is up high.  I tried it at first with just the overhead and 
wasn't happy.  Now my nose scoop connects to ducts in the canard bulkhead 
near the floor and the added flow down low really compliments the overhead 
ducts.

I'm also thinking that it can also be used with the heat.  I'm working on a 
way to mix the heater air with the fresh air so I can adjust the temperature 
in flight.  I find the heater air can sometimes be too hot, and if I 
partially close the heater flap it just cuts the flow.  Now my feet are hot 
and the rest of the cabin is cold.  If I could mix the two I could have warm 
(not hot) air with good flow to more evenly heat the whole cabin.

As to why we have both, the original design had the nose scoop only.  The 
overhead duct came out with the XL.  At the time I was building my SERG and 
I added it.

Glenn
N697RG SERG
http://lakenormanairpark.org/

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Bob Jackson" <bobj at computer.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 10:35 PM
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nose Fresh Air Vent

> Brooke,
>
> It depends on where you will be flying.  In Florida during the summers, 
> the
> more RAM air the better and the CP scoop is absolutely essential.  During
> the winter we might close the eyeball vents fed from it most of the time.
> But even if you live where it's always cold, I would still put in the CP's
> cold air NACA scoop, if for no other reason than for possible future 
> resale.
>
> Bob
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Brooke Wolf
> Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 6:12 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Nose Fresh Air Vent
>
> Does anybody have any thoughts on the necessity or advisability of a
> NOSE fresh air vent in the XL?  Does the overhead plenum provide
> enough fresh air or is it a good idea to have the additional one
> coming from the copilot side of the nose?  I never could figure out
> why we have both!  Is there another use for the vent air coming from
> the nose?  Before I cut another hole I thought I would poll the
> group.   Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brooke XLRG-5
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 8.5.421 / Virus Database: 270.14.5/2419 - Release Date: 10/08/09
> 18:33:00
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 8.5.421 / Virus Database: 270.14.8/2423 - Release Date: 10/08/09 
> 18:33:00
> 


More information about the Reflector mailing list