REFLECTOR: Flying with the wrong propeller

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Oct 8 17:05:25 CDT 2009


After adjusting the elevator trim servo position and doing major surgery
to the cooling plenum, I was ready for the next flight.

It was not the perfect day, but bad weather and work had interfered for
4 days since finishing, so, it was good enough. Wind was blowing 15
knots across the runway but what the heck!

Took an even longer takeoff roll do to the cross wind and having to use
quite a bit of brake to keep me "near" the centerline.  Broke ground  at
75 knots  and  set up for a 90 knot climb.   Was indicating 1000-1200
fpm, not great but not bad.  after a 1000 ft of that  nosed over  to 100
kias and climb increased to 1500.  nosed over again to 120 kias and
climb remained about 1500 fpm.  

It was really bumpy, no surprise.  I leveled off at 8500, about 1000 ft
below the broken layer of CB's, virga everywhere!   It felt like spring! 

I was  heading out to the practice area over some of the old uranium
mines north  west of the field.   The temps  were  much much better,
though it still needs some work.  They looked to be stabilizing between
400-360 and much closer together than before.  Still think I'm running
to lean..  Oil temp was hanging in at 205.

Even though I was getting moderate bumps pretty regularly, I decided to
see if I was getting the 275hp I should be getting, As some have
suggested my very low static rpm(2000) was an engine issue.  Fire walled
it at full rich, I was doing about 130 ias at 1800 rpm when I started, I
finally pulled the power back though the speed was still increasing,
indicating 170 kias at 2450 rpm, thats 200 TAS.  With the IO360 I could
barely squeeze 170 TAS on a very cold day turning 2750.  I think I'm
getting pretty close to rated HP.  I'm satisfied that this is not an
engine issue, but a propeller issue.  I took a tour of Grants just to
let everyone know that "really weird plane" is back!

Of course the wind was still blowing 15 knots gusting to 20 at 60
degrees across the runway.  Typical.

I really have forgotten how its supposed to look out he windscreen!  I
set it down OK, but at way to high an angle of attack, and then when
letting the nose down I thought my nose gear had collapsed!  It just
kept coming down, and coming down!!  hehe  But it had not, just used to
looking over the front of a 210!  Bang!  it finally hit the ground!  I
did a drunken weave trying to stay near the center line!  Finally got
back ahead of the airplane and taxied back.

Its better but still need work. 

I called Catto, after getting home and had a long talk about what to
do.  Decided to start from scratch and quit whittling away at this
propeller made for 325HP..   Its gonna be await, he hopes to get started
around Nov 5, and ship before thanksgiving.  He is giving me a credit
for my existing prop as its virtually new and low and behold he has a
customer for it!

Now for some time off along with some smooth air to start checking
things out.

Oh, the elevator trim is much better, but above 150 knots I had to hold
down elevator on the stick to stay level, another adjustment needed. 
The autopilot would hold it but the trim prompt annunciator was blinking
"Down Trim" continually.  So, its better than the stock trim so far,
we'll see if it still has enough up trim when adjusted for single
pilot(aft CG) cruise speed, and then performing a stabilized approach at
forward CG.

Scott



-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 260 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20091008/2ae2a608/attachment.pgp>


More information about the Reflector mailing list