REFLECTOR: Not enough Trim authority
Terry Miles
terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 17 22:29:30 CST 2009
I forget. Andy has it right. The pitch trim vs speed brake motor was about
4 versus maybe 6 or 7 inches. I am sure the factory could tell you in a
single call. They look exactly the same. One is just longer than the
other. The down side is my speed brake only opens to something over 40
degrees instead of the usual 60 or so. That's all I could fit in the keel,
and it was the speed brake issue that dictated the change...not a pitch trim
issue. There was a lot of trial and error and geometry fooling around on
top of the carnard and trying to find drill points on the elevator torque
tube. In the end we filed off a fraction of an inch on the trailing edge of
the carnard itself in the fuselage area where we tied the trim motor to the
torque tube. At Osh back a couple of years ago and once when at the factory
for checkout I felt some XLs that had a big resistence to the stick when
trying to displace the elevator. This will mean among other things that the
autopilot pitch servo torque limit is griping an out of trim condition for
almost any change at all.
Terry
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 18:34
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Not enough Trim authority
no wonder you have enough trim authority, you have twice the travel...
Andy Millin wrote:
> I do not have an exact dimension. It is roughly twice the size.
>
> Andy
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
> On Behalf Of scott at tnstaafl.net
> Sent: 11-17-2009 3:18
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Not enough Trim authority
>
>
>> and 2)Have it fit behind the panel. These are separate issues. Here
>> is a
>> 3rd: I also have a longer throw trim motor. The kind you get with
>> the speed brake.
>>
>
> I hadn't considered a longer throw trim actuator. That would solve my
> problem. Giving me more throw.
>
> Is the speed brake actuator longer than the trim actuator when its not
> extended?
>
> anybody got the dimensions of the thing, retracted and extended?
>
> Removing the Strong system and re-installing the factory trim would
> improve my CG situation. If I could get it to work, that would be great.
>
> Scott
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list