REFLECTOR: Sparrow Strainer

aminetech at bluefrog.com aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Nov 17 09:15:50 CST 2009


The purpose of the strainer is to provide stability.  Duane Swing told me that with no strainer and no trim spring, there is very little force on the stick from the air stream and that results in instability.  The strainer was added to create a force which in turn requires a trim spring.  The instability is eliminated with either strainer orientation, the reverse making more sense as it reduces the need for trimming as you stated.  I know some are flying without the strainer, so it appears that the spring alone provides adequate stability.

John

--- scott at tnstaafl.net wrote:

 

I had always assumed it was to reduce the need for trimming during speed
changes.    Now with the thing installed with the cambered side down,
which I had assumed was the "normal" orientation. The faster you go the
more it would pull down on the trailing edge of the elevator, applying
"up" elevator?  But what you really want as you go faster is "down"
elevator?  Down meaning pitch down.

So what am I missing?

Scott

PS. Anyone ever strained a sparrow?

IT'S VERY MESSY!!





_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list