REFLECTOR: Spark Plug Gap
Kent Murley
im at theaerodro.me
Fri May 8 11:04:32 CDT 2009
Chuck -
Thanks for info you have provided over the years. Finally I have a
partial answer for you.
I also have an IO540 with Jeff Rose ignition (on the bottom plugs).
At
http://www.electroair.net/
it recommends .030 - .035 inch gaps for the aviation plugs with thick
electrodes like the REM37BY. I've had good luck with that gap.
Brand? I've used Champion and Unison (Autolite) and have not found a
difference. That's Elbonian for "both brands are as easily dropped on
the floor as the other by well-meaning mechanics".
Don't have any experience with auto plugs but Jeff and his protege
have a caveat on their FAQ page about the heat range.
For my top plugs with a normal gap I've had to fork out for Iridium
plugs to prevent fouling but that's probably because of my improper
leaning technique on the ground, the humid air near my hangar, and my
infrequent flying.
The extra $50 per plug for iridium plugs seems worth it now compared
to the down time taking my cowling on and off some 5 or 6 times, but
more importantly, having to do that in front of waiting passengers a
couple times.
Kent Murley
Tacoma WA
On May 8, 2009, at 7:59 AM, Chuck Jensen wrote:
> Quick question - what is the recommended spark plug gap for Rose
> Ignition with Avionics plugs? Or auto plugs, recommended brands?
> Engine is IO540. Thanks.
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck Jensen
> Diversified Technologies
> 2680 Westcott Blvd
> Knoxville, TN 37931
> Phn: 865-539-9000 x100
> Cell: 865-406-9001
> Fax: 865-539-9001
> cjensen at dts9000.com
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090508/ab00e0d3/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: rocketsurgeon.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 1820 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090508/ab00e0d3/attachment-0001.jpeg>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list