REFLECTOR: Mystery Oil Leak

Michael Watson mikewatsspg at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:54:25 CDT 2009


John,

A day or two after flying, I also get about a teaspoon of oil on the hanger
floor just below the air intake scoop for the carburetor. I traced it to
where the pickup
for the RPM sending unit screws into the rear case. There is also a mounting
plate
just below the Mags with four bolts. check that they are tight.

BTW. Susan at Franklin Aircraft Company has a new front crankshaft seal
assembly
          that solves the leaking seal problem.

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 1:11 PM, <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:

> For the 2nd time I have found a 5" spot of oil that dripped from the air
> intake (carburated Franklin).  In both cases the spot did not occur until
> about a week after the last flight.  The first time I attributed the leak to
> having added a qt of oil the day before.  I used a new gadget, a 3" tube
> with butterfly valve that screws onto the oil bottle.  There wasn't room and
> I had to pour the oil right at the right edge of the oil fill hole.  I
> figured some oil got in a cylinder and leaked into the intake manifold (I
> always see oil in the manifold when I remove it).  This time no oil was
> added.  I have no idea why the oil takes a week before it leaks.  Any ideas?
>
> John
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



-- 
Mike W.
1997 Velocity Elite RG
Franklin /IVO Electric CS
Dual GRT EFIS Synthetic Vision
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090505/6e09e2e6/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list