REFLECTOR: speed

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
Sat May 2 08:17:32 CDT 2009


Just recently did a CG. With 195 lb pilot, 150 lbs of fuel, and 30 ballast in the nose, my CG is 120.6

Lou Stedman
Velocity N7044Q
Olean, NY
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: lawrence epstein 
  To: Reflector Reflector 
  Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2009 6:46 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: speed


  Lou, do you mean that it is trimmed "nose down" or "down elevator" (nose up)?

  If you mean "nose down":

  In "standard" configuration aircraft (Tractor, small wing with elevator rear), rear CG increases speed. I would think that was true in canard/tractor aircraft as well.

  The main variable should be induced drag which is proportional to lift. With a rear CG, the elevator would be up, decreasing net AOA for the canard and reducing lift on the canard, therefore the nose points down.....therefore lower drag.

  When traveling, we always load the aircraft @ rear CG.

  I would consider a CS prop which would also add weight to rear and move CG back.


  Larry Epstein


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  From: stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
  To: canard-aviators at yahoogroups.com; reflector at tvbf.org
  Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 23:31:26 -0400
  Subject: REFLECTOR: speed


  I have been going over my VEL to try and pick up some more cruise speed. I have cleaned up the cowl and I am putting on wheel pants. I have never been happy with the performance of 44Q. I have a IO-360, 180 HP, with a Catto three blade prop. My static is not what I would like, 2250 at takeoff power and the best I can get a WOT is about 2550. At one time I flew with a two blade Catto and got better static but lost it in cruise. I sent my prop back to Catto and he removed some of the pitch but I have not seen much difference. One thing I have noticed is that when I am flying solo and the aircraft is trimmed for level flight, my elevator is down about 3/4". That must be causing drag but I don't know what to do to correct. Any suggestions?

  Lou Stedman
  Velocity N7044Q
  Olean, NY


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


------------------------------------------------------------------------------



  No virus found in this incoming message.
  Checked by AVG - www.avg.com 
  Version: 8.5.287 / Virus Database: 270.12.13/2091 - Release Date: 05/01/09 17:52:00
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090502/418da46e/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list