REFLECTOR: wheel pants

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Fri May 1 05:12:04 CDT 2009


Thx Dave, I've got NACA vents on the forward inside of the pants, good 
point that the more holes, the better for brake cooling. However, I was 
asking more from a cruise efficiency standpoint. With the NACA inlet 
coupled with normal air entry by the wheels does it make sense to have 
an outlet at the rear of the fairings to move that air so as not to 
build up a draggy high pressure area in the pants??  Tom


Tom after  flying a number of canard planes with wheel pants believe me you 
want all the vents you can get in the pants.  One time I didn't put the vent 
holes in the top of the pants and after I taxied for a good mile after 
landing I learned never to do that again.  After parking the heat built up 
so bad in the pants that after going into a building to check on getting 
gas, I came out and found that the end of the gear had bent up till the 
brake disc came in contact with the strut and I was grounded in the middle 
of Windover UT with a broken foot and no place to get it fixed.  So when it 
comes to pants you can put enough vents in them.  I recommend that you put 
them in the side and out the top as well as a little out the back.  You can 
make some real nice small NACA scoops, going fwd and aft direction, to do 
the job and looks cool as well. They only have to be around a inch across to 
work.
Dave
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Tom" <tomcat05 at comcast.net <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>>
To: <reflector at tvbf.org <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>>
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: wheel pants


>/ Is there any benefit in having an outlet at the rear of the main wheel 
/>/ fairings?? Have seen this on numerous canard aircraft. If worthwhile, 
/>/ should we just drill some one inch plus holes on the lower rear portion of 
/>/ the fairings?? thx Tom
/




More information about the Reflector mailing list