REFLECTOR: Vortex generators
Brett Ferrell
reflector at velocityxl.com
Mon Mar 30 13:06:03 CDT 2009
I've set up a page on the WIKI for VG's and Fences.
http://wiki.velocityxl.com/index.php?title=VG_Installation
http://wiki.velocityxl.com/index.php?title=Trailing_Edge_Fences
Brett
www.velocityxl.com
>This question seems to come up every couple of years, which suggests theres a need to have a database somewhere of what works and what doesnt.
>
>On my xlrg,
>
>1. vgs provided a 3kt lower stall speed (dropped from 66 to 63) and approximately a 1.5 - 2 kt drop in cruising air speed. The cruise speed drop measurement was imprecise, - used flying in triangles to measure.,
>
>2. vgs on the carnard add lift and drag during cruise, with a noticeable increase in down stick pressure needing to be applied. I clipped the length of the carnard vgs in half and that seemed to solve the problem. Previously (Ive done this twice) I removed half of the vgs on the carnard, both seemed to have neglible effect on the lift during slow speed produced by the carnard and benficial effect at cruise speed. My anticipation is that the pattern needs to be re-engineered for the carnard.
>
>3. vgs on top in front of the naca scoops helped reduce engine temps. Although in a steep climb, I did not see the improvement, anticipated that the air is detaching further ahead in a steep climb. I tried attaching vgs at the door line on top as well. Havent noticed that it helps significantly.
>
>
>
>Trailing edge stall fence on the inside of the ailrons reduced take off distance by 15% - and gave significant increase in control at low speeds. No reduction in cruise speed. This should be a standard on the wing.
>
>Trailing edge fence on the inside and outside of the aileron produced significant climb improvement. I went from a sustained 1,200 to 2,000 with two large adults in the front seat. But I removed them because of the adverse effect on turning. Basically it wants to fly straight ahead with four fences on the wing sure goes up quick though.
>
>Have attached a couple of pics. Hope that helps.
>
>Rodney Brim,
>
>Performance Solutions Technology, LLC
>
>Ph. (707) 487-3000 | Skype. rbatpst
>Blog - www.ManagePro.com/Blog
More information about the Reflector
mailing list