REFLECTOR: Update on my Subaru installation

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sun Mar 29 10:25:14 CDT 2009


If you decide to go with the Evans, chose the NPG+, not the regular NPG. The NPG+ addresses some of the issues Al mentioned. I am using it, and haven't had any issues on ground runs. Time will tell about In the air. 

It is interesting how many different power plant & cooling methods Velocity builders are using. Can't wait for our big fly in!

Working on Interior stuff and finishing up the cowl aft of the wing attach fins. Then block for paint. 

 Kurt Winker
173 FGE 
340 HP Aluminum V-6
Sounds great, Hear it at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT-0zHmcp9o


-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Balic <velocity_pilot at verizon.net>
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 9:13 pm
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Update on my Subaru installation




Right now I am running a 25% glycol solution with a 16 pound cap I have some of that “RedLine” wetting agent in there too- not sure if that works, but it sure won’t hurt anything- Subaru’s usually don’t have cooling issues- good design I guess, just need to make sure I have a good seal around my radiator- if I am loosing coolant, I will change to a 24 pound cap- I have a pressure sensor on the coolant, so I can sure keep an eye on it- Evans coolant was a plan B- always good to have plenty of Plan B-s laying around I always say…….  J

 




From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent:20Saturday, March 28, 2009 8:12 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Update on my Subaru installation


 

Well; Sid, I’ll have to disagree with your disagreement.  The pressure exerted on the spring is the differential pressure on the seal plate, which is dependant on the ambient pressure outside.

 

I use a double cap setup; 15 on the filler neck; 23 on the expansion tank.  

 

Alex; before you get too serious about the non-aqueous coolant, take a look at the viscosity (pump power, pressure drops) and the specific heat (requiring greater flow rates for the same heat removal).  To me it all adds up to a poor choice; and the two people I know who have tried it gave it up as a bad idea.

 

Best coolant is water, with just enough EG (or other) for corrosion protection.

 

Al

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Sid Knox
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:38 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Update on my Subaru installation

 

I have to disagree here... the seal is working against a spring, not ambient 

pressure.  Therefore, altitude is not a factor, or at most, a minor factor.

 

Sid

 

 

----- Original Message ----- 

From: "Laurence Coen" <lwcoen at hotmail.com>

To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>

Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2009 1:23=2
0PM

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Update on my Subaru installation

 

 

I really should read these things before I hit send.  I should have said a 9 

psi cap at sea level or 24 psi absolute pressure.   That 14 psi cap would 

give about 29 psi absolute at sea level.  A 20 psi cap should handle things 

to 12,000 plus feet.

 

Larry Coen

N136LC

 

 

From: Laurence Coen

Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2009 1:37 PM

To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Update on my Subaru installation

 

 

Alex,

 

At 10,000 feet you lose about 5 psi of atmosphere making your 14 psi cap a 9 

psi cap absolute pressure.

 

Larry Coen

N136LC

 

 

 

_______________________________________________

To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

 

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




_______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090329/27ef0444/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list