REFLECTOR: wing frosting
nmflyer1 at aol.com
nmflyer1 at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 14:12:12 CDT 2009
Matt,
I think there is always an issue of pinholes with any mixed filler like that. I don't think it is as prevalent as with straight Micro.?
One thing that I found that works fantastic for filling pinholes, feathering and taking care of minor imperfections is called Metal Glaze by EverCoat. Ot os a polyester glazing and finishing putty, much like the old red "spot putty" that folks used on autos. It is non-shrinking and is flexible. You mix it just like you would bondo or such: about a quarter size dollop of filler, and a touch of the hardener (bout half the size of a tick-tack).? Mix & apply. I use a razor blade for pinholes, it forces it into the hole and leaves less waste to sand. Regular plastic applicators can be used for feathering.
You only have about 5 minutes working time with this stuff, so don't mix up too much. The nice thing, it can be sanded within about a half an hour.
By the way, I got the metal glaze at an automotive paint supply shop.
Best,? Kurt
-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Bucko <mbuc310 at cox.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:45 pm
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: wing frosting
Thanks Kurt. I had seen the superfill and had thought of using it. Now I think I will.? What you did at the rudder makes sense.? Thanks again.
By the way, did you have any pinhole issues with the superfill?
Matt
nmflyer1 at aol.com wrote:
Matt,
I did my own wings. I ended up using "SuperFill" to cut down on weight.. and it seems like that was an expensive but very good idea. I have the 173 wings. A 3 Gallon kit of Superfill ended up filling all of the weave in the fabric of the wings, winglets, canard and elevators. I used a wide taping knife on the wings and basically just filled the weave and any low spots first. Once all of that was done, I just knocked off the high frosting bumps with a long sanding board.
I ended up with less than a dixie cup of material left over after this!? So the weight savings is pretty significant, specially at the back of the ailerons and the rudders. It also sands easier than Micro does. Micro will sand different each batch you make... even if only by a little bit. The superfill seems more uniform and cuts down on future feathering.
To answer your question, I did all the fill first. I think it is easier for a couple reasons:? It sure is easier to draw a nice fine straight line on a smooth filledsurface !? You don't have to figure out how to fill the rudder & aft part of the winglet, without gluing them back together. If you use a nice fine blade, you can cut the rudder with almost no chipping to the edges of the cut lines where the fill is.
I slid a small piece of sandpaper between the rudder/wing line and sanded it slightly. Then I slid a piece of? tape into the slot and filled right over it. Once it was time to remove the rudder, I cut that area with a razor knife then cut out the rudder. Then you can just touch up the area that was against the wing.
Kurt
-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Bucko <mbuc310 at cox.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:41 am
Subject: REFLECTOR: wing frosting
For those of you who frosted your own wings, did you cut out the rudder before frosting the winglet, or did you fill first?
If you filled first, how did you keep the material from filling in the gap between the rudder and wing?
I have finally reached the point where I can fill!
Matt
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3935 (20090313) __________
The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
http://www.eset.com
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
Access 350+ FREE radio stations anytime from anywhere on the web. Get the Radio Toolbar!
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3935 (20090313) __________
The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
http://www.eset.com
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3935 (20090313) __________
The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
http://www.eset.com
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090313/8110a6e9/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list