REFLECTOR: Static port calibration
nmflyer1 at aol.com
nmflyer1 at aol.com
Wed Mar 4 16:28:18 CST 2009
All,
The encoder (if plumbed correctly) takes pressure from your static line. Then it provides that information to the transponder. The transponder sends that altitude to ATC referenced to an altimeter of 29.92. The equipment in the ATC facility corrects that for local altimeter settings. So, in essence you are always sending pressure altitude. That is why, if you have a KT76D like mine, it shows you the altitude it is sending to ATC, but it may not match what you are flying.
Out where I work, flying between LVS (las vegas NM and DHT (Dalhart texas) we will often have altitude discrepancies when there is a big difference in those altimeter settings. Bottom line, fly the altimeter setting you are given and ignore what the Transponder says it is sending out. That is what your Pitot Static check is supposed to cover.
Kurt
-----Original Message-----
From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures at cox.net>
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 11:35 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Static port calibration
If ATC is seeing the altitude transmitted by your transponder, naturally it will be identical, assuming you are reading from the same instrument that feeds the transponder. Am I missing something?
John
No, John; I don’t think you are. I thought about that, but after you hit the send button it’s too late. But then I thought maybe their radar has some independent way of determining your altitude.=2
0Kurt??
Al
_______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090304/6d072d45/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list