REFLECTOR: Static port calibration

Carl Hoffman hoffman3 at erols.com
Wed Mar 4 11:02:24 CST 2009


Seems to me, I remember many years ago on the Reflector, there was discussion that you should have two static ports on a Velocity one on each side and connected together. This was due to the fact that a Velocity is not symmetrical but has fuselage that is shaped like a banana.
I presume that everyone with higher readings have the static port on the pilot side. I am wonder what the reading would be on the copilot side, maybe 100 ft too low?

Carl Hoffman  

---- Original message ----
>Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:40:28 -0800
>From: "Al Gietzen" <ALVentures at cox.net>  
>Subject: REFLECTOR: Static port calibration  
>To: "reflector" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>
>   Out playing in the sky yesterday, I decided to do checks on altitude and speed
>   readings.  I had never done the `low pass over the runway' test.  150 KIAS, est 80
>   ft over the runway, altimeter readout on the GRT EFIS was maybe 100 ft too high.
>    Hum-m-m. 
>
>    
>
>   Went out and flew the orthogonal square about the same speed; recording GPS ground
>   speed and IAS in each direction, then took the average of each.  The speeds agreed
>   within 1.2 knots.
>
>    
>
>   I've always found my altitudes consistent with where ATC says I am - so I don't
>   think I need to change anything.
>
>    
>
>   Al
>________________
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list