REFLECTOR: hanger rash

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Jun 26 15:37:50 CDT 2009


Noel; 

The picture is a little confusing; doesn’t look like aft of the leading
edge, but whatever.  A small area like that isn’t going to be too critical
in terms of weave, so if you wanted to just use a couple plies of BID, that
would be fine.  Sand down to the glass plies and about 1 ½” outside the hole
all around.  Fill the hole with micro-baloons/epoxy about  peanut butter
consistency (or other filler). Wet out the glass plies a bit oversize
between two layers of thin plastic (2 – 4 mils clear drop cloth works good)
and squeegee out excess epoxy.  Prime the sanded area with a very light coat
of epoxy, trim the wetted out plies to fit, peel of the plastic on one side
and lay in place.  Peel off remaining plastic, stipple out any air bubbles,
and let cure.  Put filler over and sand for nice smooth finish.

 

Have fun.

 

Al

 

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of gattenby at tulsaconnect.com
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 10:09 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: hanger rash

 

Ok it's in the garage so it's not "hanger rash", and it's deep enough that
it prob doesn't qualify anyway...

My wing fell as I was building / placing it on a shelf.  The outboard side
of the vertical stabilizer hit another shelf, just hard enough for the coner
to poke a hole in  the glass.

The hole is about 1 1/2 by 2 inches,  it's just aft of the leading edge. (I
hope the pic comes through)

I have never tried to repair anything like this...

 

I assume (that's the part that worries me)  that I need to sand the filler
off.

remove any other damaged glass.

fill with pourfoam, and glass over the spot.

Originally it was made of 2 layer of uni offset in direction by a few
degrees. (leading edge / trailing edge)

So I was planing on going back with 2 layers of uni, offset the same way

Overlapping on to the good glass.

I was thinking of the 1st layer going about 2 inches on to the good glass,

then the 2nd layer going about 1/2 inch farther than that.

That makes the patch about 7 inches across.

 

Is that way overboard, OK, or not enough???

 

Noel

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090626/fd97588d/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list