REFLECTOR: Seat Belts

Gary Stull gstull at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jun 25 11:10:25 CDT 2009


To my knowledge, nothing on an experimental aircraft has to be from 
certified aircraft parts. That's the whole point of a homebuilt airplane. I 
have seat belts from an automotive source. They may not be capable of the 
high G forces, but I'm not so sure that the attach points will take the same 
G loading anyway. To my knowledge there has never been a test to determine 
how strong the retainers are in the aircraft. I've never heard of any DAR 
refusing a homebuilt aircraft based on seat belts, but it may have happened. 
I don't believe there's anything in the FAR's covering seat belt criteria.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "vance atkinson" <nostromo56 at tx.rr.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Seat Belts


> Dennis Martin wrote:
>> I've been shopping for seat belts. Factory has some good options, but I 
>> found what may be a good option. Anybody installed non-factory belts? 
>> Opinions appreciated on this:
>>
>> http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=sbp&Product_Code=WSCH300&Category_Code=3-Point-Retractable-Seat-Belts 
>> <http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=sbp&Product_Code=WSCH300&Category_Code=3-Point-Retractable-Seat-Belts>
>>
>> For those who have installed retractable, is the retract mechanism in the 
>> way of passengers boarding or exiting?
>>
>> -- 
>> All the best,
>> Dennis
> Uh....  Aircraft belts have a special stitching on the harness ( where all 
> the connector and buckles are) that automotive and boats dont have.  Its 
> there to make sure the harness will take the high impact Gs.   If you get 
> in an accident and the insurance company notices non std aviation seat 
> belts..........well you can guess the rest.  If the DAR is on the ball he 
> wont pass  your aircraft either.
> Be careful.
>
> Vance Akinson
> EAA Tech and Flt Advisor
> COZY N43CZ
> VEZ  N3LV
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 



More information about the Reflector mailing list