REFLECTOR: FW: Reflector Digest, Vol 61, Issue 91

Don Johnston don at numa.aero
Tue Jun 23 20:28:22 CDT 2009


Doug,

First off, I'm not a lawyer and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express
lately.

Second, keep in mind that some (many?) of the FARs are somewhat vague and
open to interpretation.

I recall reading somewhere (AOPA legal counsel, Flying, Avweb, etc.) where
someone asked this question or maybe even had an action against them in a
similar situation. One of the salient points was that "you had to be going
there anyway"... Even if the other party doesn't contribute ANYTHING! This
really struck me since I had regularly flown a friend every summer to pick
up his daughter at summer camp. Since the only reason I was going up there
was because of them, according to this interpretation, I was in violation of
that FAR.

In summation, I'm not offering my view on what's legal or in compliance.
Just something I read somewhere that seemed to be a so extreme that I
initially thought "can't be". But then I remembered that we're talking about
the FAA and suddenly it became plausible.

Just another voice in the ether,
Don
 


Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:48:05 -0500
From: "Douglas Holub" <douglas.holub at gmail.com>
Subject: REFLECTOR: education and recreation
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <B03C9C11D6C144F88ABF0E3C18083272 at Workshop>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

One of my best friends is a courier, an independent contractor. He gets paid
to drive all over Texas and Oklahoma delivering things, usually body parts
for surgery to a hospital or airplane parts to an airport. Can I take him
somewhere to deliver something as long as I don't get paid for it? 

Doug Holub
Looking for places to go



More information about the Reflector mailing list