REFLECTOR: IVO motor

Michael Watson mikewatsspg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 11:12:04 CDT 2009


Same as the originals. I will measure this Saturday and let you know,


On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 2:17 PM, John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:

> What size (cross section) are the brushes?  I bought some replacement
> cartridges that fit my holder.
>
> John
>
> Michael Watson wrote:
>
> JOHN,
>
> IVO sells a new clear transparent brush holder. You can visually check
> the brushes while doing your walk around. I have 20 hrs. using it. Works
> great.
>
>
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 3:01 PM, <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:
>
>> I touched the slip rings with the leads from a battery charger and the
>> motor ran robustly in both directions.  Then, while operating the switch, I
>> measured the volts at the leads to the brushes and saw 10 volts.  So the
>> problem is with the brushes.  I have large brushes that I believe are the
>> correct size.  I just replaced one because it was almost worn off.  (I broke
>> off a large part of it a few years ago).  The other one still has a lot of
>> brush left, but maybe I need to replace that one as well.  At least I don't
>> have to mess with the motor.Thanks for all the help. John
>>
>> --- mikewatsspg at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> From: Michael Watson <mikewatsspg at gmail.com>
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: IVO motor
>> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 13:21:22 -0400
>>
>> John,
>>
>> I have been following this thread and Larry have given you great advise.
>>
>> Try this. Remove the clips from the top of the brush Assy. Connect
>> the leads from a 10~25A battery charger to the top of the Assy one way
>> + Red to one brush - Black to the other. the motor should run to the
>> max of one pitch setting, reverse the leads from the charger, and the
>> motor should run until the prop reaches the max opposite pitch.
>> During the runs, the current reading on the charger should read
>> between 8 to 12 Amps.
>>
>> If the above works, then the motor and drive system (worm gear) is ok.
>> I regularly do this to make sure all is OK back there.
>> Good Luck.
>>
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:35 AM, <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure if my IVO current is measured by the engine monitor, but I do
>> see about a 5 amp increase with the switch on.  I measured the volts across
>> the contact rings and got 1.7 v when switching to fine pitch (end of travel)
>> and 3.5 v when switching to coarse pitch (pitch changing).  These numbers
>> seem low.  What should they be? John
>>
>> --- lwcoen at hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> From: "Laurence Coen" <lwcoen at hotmail.com>
>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: IVO motor
>> Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 18:13:38 -0500
>>  John, No you can't.  The crush plates, lead screw and cam bobbin all
>> need to be returned for repair. The blades do not have to be shipped. Larry
>> CoenN136LC
>>   *From:* aminetech at bluefrog.com*Sent:* Saturday, June 20, 2009 5:31 PM*
>> To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>*
>> Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: IVO motor
>>    I'll try to check the current.  Can the motor be removed without
>> removing the blades?
>>
>> --- lwcoen at hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> From: "Laurence Coen" <lwcoen at hotmail.com>
>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: IVO motor
>> Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:06:48 -0500
>>  John, I had the same thing happen to me.  In my case the motor was
>> taking excessive current.  When the prop passes thru the neutral position,
>> the motor should take about 2 amps.  Mine was taking 20 amps and would stall
>> before getting to the stops.  You can check this by running the prop pitch
>> with the engine stopped and watching the ammeter.  It took three trips back
>> to the factory to get it fixed and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.  I
>> also talked with Ivo himself several times.  He is currently living in the
>> middle of nowhere Utah. I never liked the idea of the mechanical stops
>> that simply stall the motor and the only way you know you have reached the
>> limit is when the breaker pops.  The current rises very rapidly when you get
>> to the stop. I designed a current limiter circuit that shuts off the motor
>> before it stalls and turns on a light to let you know that you are at the
>> limit.  It seems to be working well. Larry CoenN136LC
>>   *From:* aminetech at bluefrog.com*Sent:* Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:56 AM*
>> To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>*
>> Subject:* REFLECTOR: IVO motor
>>    After a few hours in the TN summer heat, my engine was back together
>> and running well again.  I made it to NY the same day in spite of T/S
>> approaching from the west.  My skills at negotiating around weather are
>> improving, I just don't like this learning process...Anyway, on to the next
>> to do.  I am unable to adjust my IVO pitch to either full extreme.  Is there
>> a way I can check the voltage at the motor to see it it's a poor connection,
>> or the motor itself? John
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html_______________________________________________ To change your email
>> address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the
>> gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new
>> archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html_______________________________________________ To change your email
>> address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the
>> gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new
>> archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mike W.
>> 1997 Velocity Elite RG
>> Franklin /IVO Electric CS
>> Dual GRT EFIS Synthetic Vision
>> _______________________________________________ To change your email
>> address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the
>> gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new
>> archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Mike W.
> 1997 Velocity Elite RG
> Franklin /IVO Electric CS
> Dual GRT EFIS Synthetic Vision
>
> ------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Internal Virus Database is out of date.
> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
> Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.12.45/2141 - Release Date: 5/29/2009 6:28 AM
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



-- 
Mike W.
1997 Velocity Elite RG
Franklin /IVO Electric CS
Dual GRT EFIS Synthetic Vision
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090623/d7040445/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list