REFLECTOR: Belleville washers
Al Gietzen
ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Jun 21 14:22:22 CDT 2009
First of all, I'm aware that there are different configurations of the fork,
the composition washer, and the Belleville washers; so we need to
distinguish what were talking about. I'm talking about a composition washer
above the fork screwed to the flange; with Belleville washers below the fork
compressed by the nylock nut - as found on the SE RG.
My opinion is that a main contributor to steering difficulty with the
'friction' method of overcoming shimmy is the "sticktion". I'll define
sticktion as the force to begin movement that is over and above the force
needed to continue movement once movement is started.
My experience is that lubricating the bellvilles where they move relative to
one another (the smaller diameter contact) reduces sticktion; so it is a
good idea to grease that contact area.
The friction to inhibit shimmy occurs primarily at the surface between the
top of the fork and the composition washer. Same goes for greasing there.
I'm assuming that Larry is talking about the same configuration that I am;
and that he has replaced the composition washer with the nylon washer to
reduce 'sticktion'. Am I correct, Larry?
Al
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Belleville washers
Terry, The idea of Belleville washers is to develop turning friction to
subdue shimmy. You may want to wipe off the grease in order for the washers
to transfer torque.
John
On Jun 19, 2009, at 2:04 PM, Terry Miles wrote:
Jeff
Whatever you got. 1/16th or so? This is out of sequence some, but I have
been removing, polishing off corosion, regreasing (just stock marine grease)
and adjusting the tq to my bellvues on about a quarterly basis. If you have
a better mousetrap I'd be interested that's all.
Terry
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090621/eefb04d7/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list