REFLECTOR: CHT too cool

SlvEgl99 at aol.com SlvEgl99 at aol.com
Tue Jun 9 18:04:24 CDT 2009


I have a Rose ElectroAir on one side. It is the old style for an IO540. To  
time it, set #1 to TDC. Insert a pin in the housing to hold the rotor 
(large  gear) in position. Insert the ignition into the engine with #1 at TDC and 
the  pin in place. Tighten the bolt that secures the ignition and then 
remove the  pin. The ignition does adjust timing based on RPM to advance timing 
when at  higher RPM. 
 
Bob Wood
 
 
In a message dated 6/9/2009 4:50:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
cjensen at dts9000.com writes:

Brian,

I'm running a mag on one side and a Rose Ignition on the  other.  I was 
under the impression that the Rose timing is supposed to be  self-adjusting.  I 
wonder if that's a misconception?

Chuck  Jensen


-----Original Message-----
From:  reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of  Brian Michalk
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 11:19 AM
To: Velocity  Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: CHT too  cool


Duh.  It's right there.

With low CHT's, it's an  excellent opportunity to advance timing.  Yours 
might be a little  late, and advancing should bring the temps up a 
little, because you would  be making more power.

Chuck Jensen wrote:
> Cylinder head temp  problems are not unusual, but I have a different 
> twist.  My  CHT's are too cool.  I can only recall once or twice that a 
>  cylinder head ever got to 400F.  Most run 350F to 390F during hot,  
> hard climbs, but at cruise, and running lean of peak, it's not  unusual 
> for 2 to be below 300F and the rest just barely over 300F.  
>  
> Now, it well known that engines are most efficient at  higher temps and 
> I believe Lyco's recommendation for an IO-540 K1A5  is CHTs in the 375F 
> to 400F temp range.  This would also seem to  imply that I'm suffering 
> unnecessary cooling drag from overcooling  the CHs.  Oil temps at 
> cruise are 195F-200F but will rise to  240F during long climbs.
>  
> So, my question is, 'is there  a way 'adjust' cooling to CHs' that may 
> reduce drag by reducing  inflow through the overhead NACAs for 
> downdraft cooling, without  sending the CHTs too high during climb or 
> aggravating oil temps  during those climbs as well?
>
> Chuck  Jensen
>
>      
>
>  ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>  _______________________________________________
> To change your email  address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw =  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>  Check old archives:  http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To  change your email address, visit  
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!   www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives:  www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:  http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To  change your email address, visit  
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!   www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives:  www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:  http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


**************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy 
steps! 
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322977x1201367197/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
JunestepsfooterNO62)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090609/3004dbc7/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list