REFLECTOR: Franklin Magneto/inspection/priming questions

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Thu Jul 30 11:47:41 CDT 2009



Jeff Clough wrote:

>  FINALLY getting around to hooking up my Franklin engine to hopefully
> test fire it soon......a few questions:
>   1:   I have Rose dual ignition....am planning on using 1/2 of this set
> up for one set of spark plugs and a magneto for the other set of
> plugs....what magneto               are others using and where can I get
> one????

Aircraft Spruce.  I think the # is 6399 (slick) for mine which is set up as the left
mag.

>
>  2:  How did others route/support their ignition wires through/under the
> Franklin plenum....got any pictures you can send to me off Reflector ??

Mine pass through a 1" hole in the front of each plenum near the inboard end.  No
support inside the plenum

>
>  3:  I purchased my engine new from Pat Goodman back in about 1997 (I
> think).....He had test run it, but it has not been run since then.  I
> removed the plugs              and put oil in the cylinders several time
> over the ensuing years , the engine has been in a hangar here in DRY
> Colorado or in my heated garage in Alaska         in the subsequent
> years....should it be inspected or have gaskets replaced etc????  I
> think there are some Franklin pros in Ft Collins CO (about 1 hour
>       away)...should I pull the engine off (again) and take it to them
> for inspection/servicing or should I run it for a while on my airframe
> (break it in on my                      airframe  while on the ground
> and then (perhaps?) have it inspected/serviced ??

Don't run too long on the ground because there is little cooling.   High speed taxiing
should be ok.

>

>
> 4:   I currently DO NOT have a priming system......is it necessary to
> have one or will the engine start w/out it just by cranking a bit
> longer???  If I need a priming           system , is there a packaged
> system available??

You definitely need the primer.  Don't know the name of mine off hand.  I'll check the
next time the cowl is off unless someone else has it handy.

>
>
> Thanx for all your input(s)       Jeff C      Brighton CO     173RG
> Clamshell  IVO Franklin
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Internal Virus Database is out of date.
> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
> Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.12.45/2141 - Release Date: 5/29/2009 6:28 AM



More information about the Reflector mailing list