REFLECTOR: Oil Type

victor taylor velocityoner at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 27 21:42:39 CDT 2009


I would love to see a picture of your rear oil cooler set up if possible. My temps run about 210 to 220. Not bad but I wouild really like to see it lower. 

 
Victor Taylor
N93DV. 
--- On Mon, 7/27/09, Tom <tomcat05 at comcast.net> wrote:


From: Tom <tomcat05 at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil Type
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Monday, July 27, 2009, 2:52 PM


How hot is your oil?? Have you gone the 2nd cooler route? Anyhow, multi vis is a mistake at high temps (unless it is a synthetic which you can't really use with leaded fuels). The base oil in multi wt is the lower number, as it wears the high vis (top number) decreases. If you live in a warm climate there is very little benefit to multi wgts as cold starts are their best feature. Going to 120 (60 wght) is possible but if you're uncomfortable with your oil temps don't give up on trying to fix.
My plane has updraft cooling, had only one cooler and very small cooling inlets when I first got it. I played with various things for several weeks to get the oil temps down. I wound up getting a 5 row stewart warner as a 2nd cooler and was able to place it on the top baffling. Initially I blasted air to it with a 3 inch duct shared off of induction air via a Y. While later working on hot CHTs I found that the ducting wasn't necessary as there was plenty of air flow through the cooler (hi pressure/low pressure on opposite sides of the baffling). I went from 235+ down to 185 with this setup. The Lycoming gurus say that the engine wasn't set up to pump oil through 30 feet of rigid line. Probably why we don't get much heat out of it either when it's cold. Tom
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



      
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090727/88ab21c6/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list