REFLECTOR: Hardening Hardener

Velocity VelocityXL at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 27 11:01:18 CDT 2009


I keep a floating cap that sits Right on top to the Hardener.
Really helps to keep it from getting thick.  Works for me fo over 5-6 years of off and on building. I think MEK is what I have used in the past for none struckual lay ups to thin
out the mixture. worked geat.
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Brooke Wolf 
  To: reflector at tvbf.org 
  Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:52 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Hardening Hardener


  I think you might be right Ken.  After I get back from OSH I will try to heat up my 2 year old mush and see how that works.  If I find it unsuitable, I will enjoy working with new stuff that I will order a little at a time!


  Brooke






    From: KMis178813 at aol.com

    Date: July 25, 2009 8:57:20 PM EDT

    To: reflector at tvbf.org

    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Hardening Hardener

    Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>




    Brooke
       I have not worked on my own project for quite a while now but I have been using the hardener from time to time for other projects. I found that the stuff in the Hot Box gets gooey and is not very useful. The stuff at room temp will recover with heat but still remains thick. I recently did some projects at the factory only to notice how nice it is to work with fresh stuff. New stuff is much thinner and makes the cloth absorb quicker with less effort and also lighter. The cost of new hardener compared to everything else we do is cheap. Order in small quantities as you need it and it will always be fresh?? I'm not saying the old stuff is not useable, just the fact that I will not use the old stuff on my plane because of it's properties. FWIW
           Ken

    In a message dated 7/25/2009 5:39:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bwolf1 at tds.net writes:
      I know this has been addressed before on this forum, but I am  having  
      a problem with hardening hardener.

      All of my hardener is less than 2 years old.  It is from the Velocity  
      Factory.  I keep some hardener in a 85 deg box.  I have been away from  
      my project for 3-4 months.  Now, I noticed that it is getting a little  
      thick, somewhat like a gooey tar.  I  tried heating it by putting the  
      gallon jug (with less than a quart of hardener in it) in water at 150  
      deg.  I let the hardener get to about 130 deg for about 15 minutes.   
      The heating certainly made it more viscous, but as it cooled it got a  
      little thick again.....but not as thick as before.  I don't have much  
      confidence in the heating trick.  What did I do wrong?

      Just for grins, I checked on two jugs of hardener which have been  
      sitting in my basement for 2 years.  The temp down there stays a  
      pretty constant 70 deg.  Much to my chagrin, both jugs seem to have  
      solidified into a crystalline mush.  Any ideas?!!

      Brooke




      _______________________________________________
      To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

      Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
      user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
      Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
      Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



----------------------------------------------------------------------------



    _______________________________________________
    Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose




------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090727/74f05832/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list