REFLECTOR: Batteries
nmflyer1 at aol.com
nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 18:40:37 CDT 2009
I purchased the B&C BC116 battery. I have 2 electrical systems, so I have 2 of them, side by side.
I have a 173 FGE, so your setup may be different. I made an aluminum tray with a small lip on it to hold them on the bottom. I glued some of that ruber non slip material to this aluminum. This tray is also my ground plane for the transponder antenna (which sits inside the battery shelf but does not protrude the aircraft skin).
For the top mount, I went and found a relatively inexpensive battery hold down kit. The type with a cross bar, 2 long hooked jobs & wing nuts. Then I glassed a cap with flanges?that holds both batteries right where I want them. There is a piece of temperfoam between the batteries for chafe protection & spacing. The cap goes on then the strap and wing nuts. Works great, light weight, and serves double duty.
I believe the Oddesy & the B&C are almost identical. I tried it & I can turn over the 340 HP Aluminum V-6 on just one of them with ease.
Kurt
-----Original Message-----
From: Brooke Wolf <bwolf1 at tds.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Mon, Jul 20, 2009 3:52 pm
Subject: REFLECTOR: Batteries
I was contemplating installing the battery tray on my XLRG-5. ?Like everything else, one thought leads to another and pretty soon I am thinking about the entire electrical system and still not getting anything done! ?Well, I know 2 things for sure....I'm going to need a battery and a place to put it. ?I've got the battery tray so why not order the battery so I can make sure it all fits together. ?That is where I need the help of the collective.
I like the Odyssey 925. ?I talked to Scott Swing today and Velocity likes the Odyssey 925. ?So, an Odyssey 925 is what it is going to be! ?There are a variety of 925's. ?See?http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925lmj.htm. ?My question is which one is best? ?Terminals up or on the side? ?Negative terminal forward or aft? ?SAE or M6 bolt terminal? Metal jacket or not? ?What kind of hold down is best? ?Lots of questions. ?I am hoping somebody who has already gone through this will be able to shed some light on the battery installation so I don't have to later say, "Well I ?should have...." ?>:)
Any help would be appreciated! ?Thanks.
Brooke
BTW, I am also installing Composite Design's Landing Gear Control (Gold Box) System.
=
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090720/c063fd1f/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list