REFLECTOR: Batteries
Jim Agnew
jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 20 17:44:57 CDT 2009
OK Brooke here we go,
Start with the top terminal battery and bolts for really reliable connections and it is easist to get at the terminals if you need to hook up a charger or anything else.
I have a metal cased battery and by the use of a thin putty-knife you can separate the steel case from the battery (the battery people recommend this) drill some holes in the bottom and countersink for some SS flat head machine screws and bolt the case to the battery tray (4-6 # 10 machine screws will do nicely) and you have a very strong battery box that you can drop the battery in or replace it. You can either buy a battery hold down at an automotive store or make your own.
I like to place the terminals closest to the hull to keep them as far away as I can from anything that might come loose and short. I also prefer the positive terminal closest to the canard bulkhead if possible so I have the lead to the Master solenoid is as short as possible.
Remember if you use the steel battery box that you must have enough space to get the battery in with the upper fuselage in place. It also has to go thru you access hatch so check carefully.
Jim
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying
________________________________
From: Brooke Wolf <bwolf1 at tds.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 5:52:20 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Batteries
I was contemplating installing the battery tray on my XLRG-5. Like everything else, one thought leads to another and pretty soon I am thinking about the entire electrical system and still not getting anything done! Well, I know 2 things for sure....I'm going to need a battery and a place to put it. I've got the battery tray so why not order the battery so I can make sure it all fits together. That is where I need the help of the collective.
I like the Odyssey 925. I talked to Scott Swing today and Velocity likes the Odyssey 925. So, an Odyssey 925 is what it is going to be! There are a variety of 925's. See http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925lmj.htm. My question is which one is best? Terminals up or on the side? Negative terminal forward or aft? SAE or M6 bolt terminal? Metal jacket or not? What kind of hold down is best? Lots of questions. I am hoping somebody who has already gone through this will be able to shed some light on the battery installation so I don't have to later say, "Well I should have...." >:)
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Brooke
BTW, I am also installing Composite Design's Landing Gear Control (Gold Box) System.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090720/88fdfdc7/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list