REFLECTOR: Wing attach bolt hole?
Al Gietzen
ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Jul 12 14:33:27 CDT 2009
Don;
On my SE RG there is not sufficient room between the rear fuel bulkhead and
the spar to insert bolts from the front, so they have to go in from the
rear. The general aircraft practice of putting bolts in from the top and
the front is so they are less likely to fall out of the nut comes off. I
have no concern whatever that the metal locknut on the wing bolt, torqued to
45 ft-lb, if ever going to come off. (Even with those vibrating aircraft
engines:-))
I found that having a single larger hole at the bottom for bolt access is an
easier way to go.
Best,
Al (Velocity, Mazda 20B)
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Don Johnston
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2009 9:12 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Wing attach bolt hole?
I have recently completed my brake upgrade which involves improving the
brake fade problem with Matco brakes. Rather than bore all the Cleveland
equipped builders, I'll just direct you to my build page. I apologize if it
seems basic, but I have friends and family that are following my build so I
try to keep it simple.
http://www.velocity-xl.com/brakes.html
And finally, I have fastbuild wings with a small access hole in the top and
bottom. It's a real pain trying to get the nut on the bolt through that
hole.
1) I have better access if I put the bolt in through the wing and the
nut on the front (through the strake). Is this acceptable or does the bolt
have to go in the front?
2) I've seen that some builders put a single large hole in the bottom
of the wing that goes up to the top. This also eliminates the small access
hole cover on the top of the wing. Is this an acceptable retrofit?
Don Johnston
XL-RG
www.velocity-xl.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090712/73a4045d/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list