REFLECTOR: Induction scoop

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Mon Jul 6 20:35:04 CDT 2009


I would doubt that your ram air pressure would have any affect whatsoever on
the integrity of that scoop- one PSI is just about 200 kts or so- unless
that scoop is made from one ply of fine bid, you should be OK

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 3:00 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Induction scoop


I'm reshaping the induction scoop(P51 style) and was wondering if I need
to do anything  about pressure  building up in it?

Unlike a cooling scoop that always has flow through it, I can pull the
engine to idle, which is shutting down the flow.

Think I could blow up the scoop at high speeds? 

Should I put a spring  loaded  door  on it to  open at  high pressures?

this is the original scoop, before shrinking and putting a new flange on it.

http://www.eharwood.com/catalog/product.php?productID=344

Scott






More information about the Reflector mailing list