REFLECTOR: Belleville washers
Terry Miles
terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 5 08:02:44 CDT 2009
Thanks VERY MUCH for the info, and the explanation. I will drop the nylon
nut experiments for the time being. I have some other mx issues that are
higher on the list.
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of John Youngblood
Sent: Saturday, July 04, 2009 20:21
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Belleville washers
Terry,
I'm going to a castle nut and cotter key in lieu of the nylon nut. I had
significant shimmy on a landing in April and broke the strut at the bottom
of the "taco" weld. The incident caused a hole in my fuselage, one in the
wing and ground down my nose substantially. The nut came loose after three
flights. I'd recommend checking it before every flight.
Further investigation found the strut had not been heat treated after
welding the gussets (tacos) on. Rockwell hardness around the weld joints
was 57 on the "C" scale. The rest of the strut was 42! I understand a 57
hardness on 4130 steel is "glass brittle". You may want to check the heat
treat of your strut near the welds.
I understand, if you always have good landings and experience very little
shimmy, an improperly stress relieved NLG strut will probably be ok.
John
On Jun 20, 2009, at 3:50 AM, Terry Miles wrote:
John,
Thanks so much for volunteering that. I recall that they went in originally
smooth, primed and un-lubed. The problem I have is adjusting the big nyloc
to setting that is neither too loose nor too tight. A bit of grease seems
to increase the torque range tolerance. The prime coat of paint is long
since rubbed off and I thought the rust was part of my culprit.
If I were to say, it is steering problems I have and not so much shimmy
problems. I have an XLRG. The only shimmy I see in when on the brakes in
the latter half of the roll out, and then only when there is more wgt on the
nose wheel from having someone in the right seat. I am tempted now to take
my 1/7/8 (or whatever size it is) end wrench over to the local welding shop
and have then make a 1/2 fitting on it to fit my torque wrench. The
fish-scale-as-tq-wrench method is not working for me.and the end of wrench
is so fat I can only get a few degrees of bolt rotation at a time before it
hit the forks.
So people know, there are several different nose leg assemblies in the field
with differing washer count. Were I to add a nylon washer and not remove
any steel washers, it would have to be in the thinner side. As it is, I
barely have 3 threads showing.
Terry
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of John Youngblood
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 18:18
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Belleville washers
Terry, The idea of Belleville washers is to develop turning friction to
subdue shimmy. You may want to wipe off the grease in order for the washers
to transfer torque.
John
On Jun 19, 2009, at 2:04 PM, Terry Miles wrote:
Jeff
Whatever you got. 1/16th or so? This is out of sequence some, but I have
been removing, polishing off corosion, regreasing (just stock marine grease)
and adjusting the tq to my bellvues on about a quarterly basis. If you have
a better mousetrap I'd be interested that's all.
Terry
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Jeff Howell
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:24
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Belleville washers
I may still have a few made I will have to check. I made them in different
thicknesses. what thickness are you looking for? Jeff
_____
From: terrence_miles at hotmail.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 19:31:12 -0500
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Belleville washers
Jeff,
Could I talk you into making a set for me? I'd gladly trade for free banjo
lessons or $5 or whatever plus shipping.
Terry Miles
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Jeff Howell
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 17:29
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Belleville washers
I ordered some 2 1/2" round stock on line and opened up a hole to the right
dia. using a lathe. It works great.
_____
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:19:50 -0700
From: ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Belleville washers
Where did you get the nylon sheet stock that you made the washers from and
how many did you use?
Andy Ellzey
_____
From: Jeff Howell <jeffreyhowell at hotmail.com>
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:07:49 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Belleville washers
I found that a combo of a home made nylon washer and a nose wheel lock makes
a great addation to any velocity. no nose wheel shimmy and awsome steering
(taxi) on the ground...Jeff
_____
From: johnt at comp-sol.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:25:25 -0500
Subject: REFLECTOR: Belleville washers
I have the 'thin' belleville washers (with spacer) - and plan on purchasing
a new washer kit from the factory, but I thought someone had successfully
been using SS washers - and had suggested McMaster as a source...?
John
_____
Insert movie times and more without leaving HotmailR. See
<http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutor
ial_QuickAdd_062009> how.
_____
Lauren found her dream laptop. Find the
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/choosepc/?ocid=ftp_val_wl_290> PC that's
right for you.
_____
Lauren found her dream laptop. Find the PC that
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/choosepc/?ocid=ftp_val_wl_290> 's right
for you.
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090705/4efa3461/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list