REFLECTOR: Parking brake
Laurence Coen
lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 25 18:05:43 CST 2009
Scott,
I don't have a parking brake on my Velocity but I do use chocks and tie it
down if it's on the ramp over night. I made my chocks from 1.5" aluminum
angle about 3" long. I have 3 pair and use them when ever I'm not in the
hanger. If I'm away from home I also carry my own tie downs. I've been to
airports that have rotten ropes that wouldn't keep a small dog from running
off. My tie downs are cargo straps that have a hook on each end and a
buckle that allows snuggling them up with a pull on the free end.
Larry Coen
N136LC
--------------------------------------------------
From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 8:28 AM
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Parking brake
> I've been flying for 3,000 + hours and never used a parking brake.
>
> granted I've never flown a tail wheel aircraft which I've been told
> really needs one because it will roll into the wind at the slightest
> breeze.
>
> Scott
>
> Chuck Jensen wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> A parking brake does not come standard, by it's highly recommended.
>> Matco (Aircraft Spruce) make an inexpensive dependable brake that can be
>> actuated with a little push-pull cable. You plumb your lines into it and
>> when it is set on 'brake', actuating the brakes will pressurize the line
>> from the Matco valve to the brakes and hold pressure. Or, you can
>> actuate the brakes and then shut the Matco valve.
>>
>> At one time parking brakes were discouraged; it was thought if the brakes
>> were pressured and locked, and later in the day it warmed up, that it
>> might over-pressurize the brakes. Great theory but it's not a problem in
>> practice. I can set my brake and come back a week later and they are
>> still locked.
>>
>> Hint. Set up your cable so that pushing the knob in releases the brake
>> and pulling it engages the check valve. If you reverse it and you happen
>> to bump the knob in while in flight, then when you actuate the brakes on
>> landing they will stay locked up....not good.
>>
>> Chuck Jensen
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
>> Behalf Of David Ullman
>> Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:58 AM
>> To: reflector at tvbf.org
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Parking brake
>>
>>
>> I was flying my friends Grumman Tiger the other day and inquired how the
>> parking brake works. Since the Grumman has a castoring noise wheel and
>> is
>> steered with hydraulic toe brakes, this seemed a good question as I am
>> now
>> plumbing the brakes on my Velocity. It appears that when you pull the
>> parking brake knob, you are locking the hydraulic pressure on the brakes.
>> So, to apply the parking brakes, you apply both toe brakes, and then pull
>> the knob, hydraulically locking them.
>>
>> I don't recall seeing this capability in my Velocity kit nor hearing it
>> discussed on this site. Anyone done this? If so where did you get the
>> knob/valve assembly, to do this?
>>
>> David G. Ullman PhD ME
>> Robust Decisions
>> ullman at robustdecisions.com
>> 541-754-3609
>>
>>
>> __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
>> signature
>> database 3796 (20090124) __________
>>
>> The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
>>
>> http://www.eset.com
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list