REFLECTOR: 100LL in my car?

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 13:55:11 CST 2009


I have heard of that too Brian, but I wonder about how they set their fuel mapping? to be correct. Some are programable, some are not. The good thing is when they fail, they fail in rich mode, so at least you won't cook things, but it can run kind of crappy (specially at higher altitude). 

One of the reasons I went without a computer or an O-2 sensor on the V-6. Less possabilities of failure. 

Kurt 


-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:54 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: 100LL in my car?



Interesting about O2, and I forgot about that.
There are some experimental av guys that were going closed loop air/fuel 
ratios with 100LL using an O2 sensor.

They could get 100 hours or so out of a sensor if it was kept out of the 
hot exhaust stream.  I think it was mostly an offset boss that kept it 
out of the main exhaust flow.

nmflyer1 at aol.com wrote:
> Doug,
>
> First, What kind of car?  The big problem with burning leaded fuel in 
> a newer car is that it ruins the Oxygen sensor. The newer gen-2 
> sensors are a bit more forgiving, but they will still trash an O-2 
> sensor in a tank or so.
>
> If you don't have any O-2 sensors, you might be able to get away with 
> burning a tank or so of 100LL without toasting a converter, but I 
> wouldn't do more than that.
>
> If you have a "good Ole Car", without all that extra pollution control 
> crap... it will run just fine. Of course you have to be sure not to 
> hit any of those environmentalist tree huggers hiding in the shrubs. 
> They won't like that at all :)
>
> Kurt
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Douglas Holub <douglas.holub at gmail.com>
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Sent: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:33 am
> Subject: REFLECTOR: 100LL in my car?
>
> Can I burn 100LL in my car? I remember hearing once that lead in the 
> fuel can damage the catalytic converter.
>  
> Doug Holub
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Get instant access to the latest & most popular *FREE* games while you 
> browse with the Games Toolbar - Download Now 
> <http://toolbar.aol.com/games/download.html?ncid=emlweusdown00000026>!
> --------------------------
----------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090122/0c9b2f53/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list