REFLECTOR: low end idle speed
Brian Michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Thu Jan 15 09:29:58 CST 2009
Your magneto timing may be too aggressive for a hot cam at low RPM.
It could also be a fueling issue. What's the ECI fuel injection
pressure at this RPM? I would think related to poor atomization. Do
your EGT's go up appreciably from smooth idle to rough idle? If this is
it, I would think you would see a 30 to 50F change.
No real adjustments for either of these problems. But you can fiddle
around with timing and fueling to diagnose which one is the problem.
It's just that you wouldn't want to fly that way, especially retarded
magneto timing would result in lower power in your power band.
Douglas Holub wrote:
> My ECI IOX-360 with dual Plasma IIIs won't idle less than 950 RPMs,
> and I was expecting to get it down to 800. It runs smooth and strong
> at all speeds. With full throttle I get 2320 static RPMs at 28.7 MAP
> with the fixed pitch Prince 68/78 prop. I've calibrated the ECI fuel
> injection using ECI's calibration kit. There's just no where to go
> mechanically less than 950 RPMs.
>
> I remember from transition training that if I didn't pull the power
> all the way back while landing, the Velocity would float forever down
> the runway, but I don't remember what the low end idle speed was on
> the factory trainer, and anyway, it had a constant speed prop. Am I
> going to have any trouble landing at 950 RPMs?
>
> Doug Holub
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list