REFLECTOR: wheel shimmy

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Feb 25 09:43:47 CST 2009


 

I'm not a engineer but would an acceptable compromise be a device  

similar to the lock but be a spring loaded ball that fits in a "V"  

notch or groove. Each time the wheel was not centered the verticle  

spring on the ball would dampen the motion but once beyond the notch  

free castoring would exist. Could be light compact and adjustable. A  

screw to ore load the spring would be east too. Ok shoot me down.

 

Rene' Dugas

 

Rene'

 

Well; I'd never 'shoot you down' - all ideas are appreciated, and only the
idea can be shot down.

But I think the issue here is that, in order to be effective, a dampener
needs to absorb and dissipate some energy; or change the resonance frequency
of the system sufficiently to get it out of range of the driving forces. I'd
guess it is unlikely this would do either. Compressing the spring absorbs
some energy, but stores it very efficiently, so when things go the other way
it would be released again, driving the oscillation in the other direction.


One of the reason we have shimmy is the flexibility of the gear leg, it is
effectively a spring. If the gear leg was very rigid, it would reduce the
likelihood of shimmy.

And then I'd think the 'detent' effect of this setup - keeping the wheel
straight ahead -  could still make steering difficult.

Ah; there goes another good idea:-). But it's just my opinion; I could be
wrong.

 

Al

 

 

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090225/17594cec/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list