REFLECTOR: wheel shimmy
Sid Knox
sbjknox at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 10:48:49 CST 2009
----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Gietzen" <ALVentures at cox.net>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: wheel shimmy, another photo
> Did you choose the weight and distance of the counterweight to provide the
> same moment in front as there is in back of the pivot?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al
Other than being certain that the wheel would retract with no interference,
choosing both weight and location was pure guesstimate.
One additional comment... after the weight failure and before I installed
the hydraulic damper, I had intended to try a different type of mass damper
using lead shot in some sort of a container (?). A fellow
pilot/RV4/RV6-builder is an avid duck hunter and he had a bunch of shotgun
ammunition that he could no longer legally use because of the lead (I'm not
making this up... this is our government protecting us) so I opened several
shells and extracted the lead shot (yes, I actually touched the lead) and
was thinking of a suitable container when the hydraulic damper idea surfaced
and that seemed a more promising possibility so I went with that.
If you think touching lead is living on the edge, Ha. When we were kids,
we played with mercury in our hands!
Sid
More information about the Reflector
mailing list