REFLECTOR: Smooth running Customized TSIO520

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Feb 2 17:52:26 CST 2009


After many months of tracking down issue after issue my highly modified 
TSIO520 is a smooth running Machine!

Yesterday after rebuilding and reinstalling the wastegate controller and 
high fuel pressure regulator, it all finally came together.

Nice smooth response from idle to 37 inches of manifold pressure.  325 
romping stomping horse power really rock!!

I am seeing 2250 rpm static at 37 inches MAP.  I need to download the 
engine data and verify the mixture map is correct, but the EGTS all 
looked well in the ROP zone.

My turbo is still leaking just a bit along the center bearing housing 
and exhaust side seam.  After a long Internet search I found a turbo 
shop(non aviation) that rebuilds and supplies parts for any Garrett 
turbo made.  I ordered a service kit and will disassemble the unit once 
I get the kit.  The owner is easy to talk to and let me in on a few 
rebuild tricks they have been using for years.

http://www.powertechnologies-turbo.com/index.html

Time to start on the cowl modifications.  Fitting this size engine in a 
STD cowl area is not possible. Hopefully the enlarged rearward radius 
and lower P51 scoop won't destroy the V's great lines...

Scott





More information about the Reflector mailing list