REFLECTOR: Main wheel angle
nmflyer1 at aol.com
nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Aug 31 19:20:39 CDT 2009
Scott:
I had posted some concerns about my wheels in the past. I didn't have the wings or engine on when I first aligned my gear. If I remember right, my old plans didn't say to have it loaded to set the alignment.
Once? put on the wings, engine, instrument panel etc, things changed a LOT. I remember being concerned that if I set it at that point, it would change a bunch more when fully loaded.
I talked to someone at the factory, and was told that most of the change would occur where/when it happened to me, but that there would be a little more change going from empty to full gross.
I opted to set my alignment with the empty plane, half tanks of fuel, and about 600 pounds inside (about where people would sit).
Then I made an "alignment shim" It is basically a 1/8" piece of aluminum, and then kind of follow the plans...
What I did was set the toe in on the outside of the aluminum shim.. like it says to do in the plans. Then I set the camber on the opposite side of the shim. It made it much easier to adjust one axis, without messing the other up as much. I also rationalized that if I have to change it later.. it will be much easier.
In the end, I used a micrometer to make the final adjustments. The book is about right on what washer thickness gets you what toe in. Problem is, I needed 1/4-1/2 of a washer thickness. No biggy, just sanded one down til it was right (and wrote in my builders log so I knew what I had in place).
It took me some time, but I am really pleased with the result. Like usual, I was being pretty picky about the numbers. I figure a V that tracks straight can only help with other concerns such as braking, nose wheel stiffness, etc.
Call me if you have any questions. I'm on my way outside to work on the rt door some more.
Kurt
505-610-3676
-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Mon, Aug 31, 2009 5:54 pm
Subject: REFLECTOR: Main wheel angle
My main gear wheels/tires have a slight positive camber when taxing
straight ahead with just me in the plane.
But with a heavy load or when turning, one or both of the legs
splay(sic?) out a bit and the wheels show a definite negative camber.
I'd say 5+ degrees.
It looks weird.
I was going to try to modify the end of the leg so the axle has a angled
pad to bolt to that would angle the wheels a bit more so there was more
positive camber.
Anybody else seen this behavior? Done anything about it? Thinks its fine?
Scott
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090831/997272c5/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list