REFLECTOR: Gap Seals, fences, zig-zag tape
RBrim
rbrim at PerformanceSolutionsTech.com
Sun Aug 30 19:11:58 CDT 2009
I worked with Klaus to test several different configurations for trailing edge fences. Inboard gave me a 15% reduction in take-off roll and better control at low speed, but would sure be good to have someone else do some testing on that. I neglected to test difference in climb improvement with just the inboard fences. I did notice a large difference in climb improvement with both inboard and outboard fences, but only took two test flights with them because of my discomfort over the reduced ability to turn. It’s been years since I did that testing.
By the way, speaking of testing. I also did some testing with two males in the front, versus putting the 2nd male (225 lbs) in the back. I reduced take off role and landing role by 500’ at Sea Level with the 2nd male in the back. Has anyone done any testing with that?
Maybe the co-pilot seat needs a long track so that you can move that person forward or back based upon whether you want a cruise or climb configuration. J
Rodney Brim,
Blog - www.ManagePro.com/Blog
Twitter - www.twitter.com/RBrim
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of SlvEgl99 at aol.com
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009 11:17 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Gap Seals, fences, zig-zag tape
I added aileron gap seals, just white duct tape. Seemed to make for better aileron response. Then I added fences inside the ailerons and haven't had enough time on them to give a definitive evaluation. I would guess better response, but then I would not have made them if I didn't think that.
Bob Wood
XL FG
In a message dated 8/29/2009 11:57:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ALVentures at cox.net writes:
Anybody flying with aileron gap seals? Notice a great improvement in
climb and responsiveness?
Scott;
I have flown with the gap seal on, off, on again; and find no detectable difference. I suppose it depends on whether there is much of a gap in the first place.
He's using the zig-zag tap in front of the rudders and says it more than
doubled the effectiveness of them at low speeds. No noticeable
reduction in cruise. Said he saw them on Klaus S. EZ.
Double the effectiveness sounds like too big a change to be true. OTOH; I have never really felt that I had a lack of rudder response – but I guess I’ve managed to avoid landing in strong cross winds.
He also said the trailing edge fences were a dramatic improvement with
no cruise speed penalty.
I have a fence on the in-board end of the aileron. I can’t tell you how much difference it makes because I put them on before ever flying. I had seen enough tuff-test info on EZs, and observed oil drop tracks on Velocity, to know there is span-wise flow under flow separation at high angles of attack. A fence could only help, and give better aileron authority at low speeds.
Al
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_____
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090830/32788fe4/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list