REFLECTOR: Oil removal for paint prep
Terry Miles
terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 25 19:03:52 CDT 2009
Brett
Maybe some of you will laugh at this. I restore banjos now and then. I
just worked marvels with a 1925 vintage Ludwig Commodore by using warm soap
and water. After the Exxon Valdez spill, in the clean up they used Dawn
dish soap. If you only have surface oil, what you need is water and a
sufactant (sp?) that will break the surface tension. I would try
(experiment) getting most of it off that way to begin with. Lots cheaper
before you start in with the heavy duty stuff.
Terry
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 18:03
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil removal for paint prep
I just looked at the "Prep-Cleaner" that comes with Awlgrip(Now called
AlumiGrip).
Its made from Ethanol, Methanol and Ethyl Acetate.
I hadn't thought about MEK eating the blue foam. My bad.
Scott
Andy Millin wrote:
> Will MEK eat the blue foam? I'm pretty sure Acetone will turn it into
goo.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
> On Behalf Of Scott Derrick
> Sent: 08-25-2009 9:55
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil removal for paint prep
>
> Like Kurt I first used Castrol Super Clean, its a great cleaner for
> non-aluminum planes. I flushed with lots of water.
>
> Then I used the cleaner that was one of the paint components for
> Awlgrip, followed by alcohol . Most paint systems have a specific cleaner
specified.
>
> If your systen doesn't specify one, MEK is a pretty good cleaner,
> absolutely use gloves and a respirator if your in a closed space.
>
> Scott
>
> nmflyer1 at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Brett,
>>
>> I have had good results using Castrol SuperClean. Comes in a purple
>> 1-gallon bottle & can be found at Wal-Mart or Autozone..etc.
>>
>> Then I would follow up with R-M 900 Pre Kleaner. I got mine at a
>> professional paint supply (automotive). It is designed to take off
>> wax, grease, silicone, etc.
>> Or, you could ask the same folks where you get your paint. That is
>> how I ended up wth the R-M 900
>>
>> Good Luck. Kurt
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Brett Ferrell <reflector at velocityxl.com>
>> To: reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Sent: Mon, Aug 24, 2009 6:52 pm
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Oil removal for paint prep
>>
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> We're basically ready to paint 44VF, but I haven't been able to
>> sufficiently clean the oil off of our belly, so I'm afraid the primer
>>
> won't bond properly.
>
>> Does anybody have a good sure-fire trick for cleaning oil off of
>>
> fiberglass?
>
>> Brett
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new
archives:
>> www.tvbf.org/pipermail <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail> Check old
>> archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> -
>> --
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list