REFLECTOR: New Dynon Skyview EFIS
Chuck Jensen
cjensen at dts9000.com
Tue Aug 25 07:24:17 CDT 2009
Glenn, you point out one of the strengths of GRT. With software upgrade, they tend to capture requested features quite rapidly and are always adding features that no one was expecting. There's only been a couple things that took them a couple cycles to develop, before it was included. The only time that a 'trade-in' was required is if a person decided to go to a new hi-res screen. It's obvious why a trade in was necessary then.
Early on, GRT made a wise decision that Blue Mountain and apparently Dynon didn't appreciate. GRT said they would not develop their own A/P, but would interface with the A/P from TruTrack. GRT said that A/Ps aren't as simple as they look and that coming up with controlling software was far more difficult and challenging than most appreciate. They would rather team/interface with a proven A/P than try to develop one of their own. Sometimes, it's smart to 'tend to your knitting', GRT apparently understood that.
Chuck Jensen
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On Behalf Of Glenn Babcock
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 7:16 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: New Dynon Skyview EFIS
Dennis,
I have a D10A and I really like it. Very reliable. I also have the heated pitot, remote compass, and backup battery. Lots of free software upgrades have really improved functionality. Support has been excellent on production products.
However, I'm not always impressed with Dynon. It took them three years to develop the heated pitot after it was announced. They announced an autopilot interface that would be useful for IFR, the AP-76, then dropped it. They don't support GPS Steering on my GX-60 (it's too old!). They don't have an upgrade path for the current equipment, only a trade in offer. Check out the Dynon support forums and you'll find others who are not happy about these and other things.
Unfortunately, they seem to be continuing this trend. The new EFIS looks great, but think about all of the components you need to make it work. What GPS will you use with it and how will it interface? Want GPS Steering? With Dynon you need a ARINC 429 interface module, and the current model doesn't work with the new EFIS. The new one is in development, but not for the initial release. Want XP Weather? Maybe someday. ADS-B? Not in the initial release.
Bottom line: I count on the Dynon equipment I have, but never on the equipment they plan to release.
Regards,
Glenn Babcock
N697RG
www.lakenormanairpark.org
From: Dennis Martin <mailto:dennis.doc at gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:04 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org> list
Subject: REFLECTOR: New Dynon Skyview EFIS
I'm dreaming about the future, but I saw an article about the new Dynon Skyview EFIS supposedly available in December.
http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/news_technology_preview.html
Did anyone see their new products? Impressions?
I know a local pilot who tells me he loves his panel, but I've never flown with him. A few questions for those who own (or have experience) with Dynon panels:
1) How reliable is the equipment? Software?
2) Is the support as good as advertised?
3) Is there a competitive brand that you prefer?
Thanks in advance,
Dennis Martin
_____
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090825/3f8aeff0/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list