REFLECTOR: Electroair ignition

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Fri Aug 21 10:42:34 CDT 2009


Andy,
 
Yes, start with the mag and flip on the Electro when it catches.  The problem is the starter draws a lot of current which may drop the voltage to the Electro unit and if 'things get wrong, just right', it'll cause kick-back and take a tooth off your starter ring (I have from a very, very reliable source that this can happed), at least I was told that was the cause.
 
Anyhow, mag to start, electro to run smooth.

Chuck Jensen 

-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On Behalf Of Andy Millin
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 10:25 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Electroair ignition



Bob,

 

Do you start the engine with the Electroair unit turned on?  I was reading in the manual that it might be better to just start on the mag.

 

Andy

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of SlvEgl99 at aol.com
Sent: 08-20-2009 7:44
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Electroair ignition

 

I have a Slick Mag on one side and a Jeff Rose Electroair on the other. I am pleased with this combination. Security from the Mag, performance from the Electroair.

 

I had to replace gears inside the electronic at about 375 hours. These were plastic gears, maybe nylon, and the teeth chipped. Easy, I pulled it out, sent to the factory, got it back in a week, and shoved it back in. Timing was a purely mechanical deal. Insert a pin to hold the rotating parts in a set position, Insert the head into the block with the engine at TDC, tighten the clamp and remove the pin.

 

I also had to have the Slick rebuilt at the same time. I think due to too much heat under the cowling. 

 

I am overall pleased with the electroair on the IO540. It runs well, starts well, and smoothly advances the spark when a certain RPM is hit. But I am not sure they are still making it for a 6 cylinder. At least I heard that they were sticking with the 4 cyl.

 

Bob Wood

IO540

XL FG

 

In a message dated 8/20/2009 7:12:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ajlz72756 at yahoo.com writes:

Is anyone using the Electroair ignition system on an IO540 engine on the reflector? If so how do you like or dislike about this system? Are there any horror stories out there about this product. I know it needs battery power to operate, but with a dual battery setup this shouldn't be an issue. If you don't like this system what other option do you suggest. This all started because I needed to buy a Bendix starting vibrator for my Bendix mags. I think now it would be cheaper to buy the vibrator. Anyone out there that has a known good starting vibrator that they want to sell?

Andy Ellzey 
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 


  _____  


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090821/694a0483/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list