REFLECTOR: Fuel Consumption Performance
nmflyer1 at aol.com
nmflyer1 at aol.com
Wed Aug 12 10:08:08 CDT 2009
I'm glad your story ended up as it did. Makes for good storytelling.
I was thinking that it may be a good idea to have a? "short list" that comprised names & phone numbers of Velocity folks by State. Not all of us have cell phone/Computer E-mail service at a remote place like Doug was in. Personally, I would be more than happy to grab some parts, food, water, tools & fly to an airfield in NM to help a fellow Velocity owner. If I couldn't do it, I could get on the reflector/canard list & beat the drums for help.
Input?
Kurt Winker
-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Holub <douglas.holub at gmail.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wed, Aug 12, 2009 8:38 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel Consumption Performance
I have the same filter. Glass so I can look at it and see if it's getting clogged. I've been cleaning fiberglass dust out of it about every 20 hours. We were flying through some very bumpy air for about an hour earlier that day, so I'm thinking that fuel was splashing in places that don't normally get splashed and washing fiberglass dust down into the tank, or that the agitation had the effect of distributing the dust in the cylinder evenly around the element, instead of settling at the bottom like it usually does.?
?
Whatever the cause, I noticed that over a period of about an hour I needed to keep pushing the mixture knob in a little to keep the EGTs where I wanted them. It should have registered sooner that something was wrong, but when the mixture knob was full rich and the engine was running 50 degrees LOP at 10,500 feet I finally said to myself, "This is not right." I thought that maybe a screw was backing out somewhere in the mixture control linkage and decided to make a precautionary landing. We were near an airstrip, but by the time I figured out everything I needed to know to land there I was a few minutes past it, so I decided to head for the next little town about 20 minutes away. Also because the AFD described the one we were near as unattended, and I thought I might need some help. Just when I decided to keep going, the engine started to die like it does when I lean it too much. With my heart in my throat, I pulled the power back and the engine started running ok again. I landed on the deserted field with construction equipment on the runway. The rest of the story is a pretty good one, but I won't clog up the Reflector with it. It involves being very hungry and thirsty, making a gasket out of two coke cans and some slick magazine covers, and spending the night at an airport in the middle of nowhere.?
?
Doug?
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>?
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>?
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:08 AM?
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel Consumption Performance?
?
> _______________________________________________?
> To change your email address, visit > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector?
>?
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery?
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose?
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail?
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html ?
_______________________________________________?
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector?
?
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery?
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose?
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail?
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090812/8ba5ffd4/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list