REFLECTOR: Border Crossing Rules

aminetech at bluefrog.com aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Aug 11 10:26:02 CDT 2009


When I returned from OSH to central NY, I flew direct through Canadian airspace, south of Toronto.  While still in Canada, Toronto center terminated my service and said I could contact Buffalo approach when I got closer.  I kept my squawk code and when I contacted Buffalo, they asked me what I wanted.  Apparently they had no idea I was coming and gave me a new code.

I attended a seminar at OSH about flying to Central America.  When the weather is iffy, one tip they offered is to state in the comments section of the flight plan that you may be a few hours/a day late due to weather.  They said the important thing is to make contact before crossing the ADIZ.

I've heard that talking to Canadian controllers will cost you, so the FSS code w/o flight following sounds like the best way to go.

John

--- im at theaerodro.me wrote:

From: Kent Murley <im at theaerodro.me>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Border Crossing Rules
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 02:09:09 -0700

For crossing the US/Canadian border get a transponder to make it easy.

ATC isn't concerned whether you've dealt with Customs and eAPIS, but  
they can give you the transponder code DHS now mandates, which the two  
Air Forces and a dozen other agencies can monitor. Going IFR gets you  
a code, or you can get a VFR code from FSS OR initiate flight  
following with any ATC radar facility.

In the US, VFR codes assigned by FSS for the crossing are from a block  
set aside that Center doesn't use. FSS computers can send (IFR only)  
flight plans to Center (the master computer for Approach controls and  
Towers) but otherwise FSS and ATC computers don't have access to each  
other, including the codes. That's also why ATC can't activate or  
close out VFR flight plans. Lame.

If you get a VFR code from FSS and then decide you also want flight  
following from ATC, either code is good for the border crossing. Radar  
controllers can make an extra computer entry to use the code you tell  
them that FSS gave you but it's not necessary and just adds to their  
workload.

The controllers along the border know you need a code so if they (or  
you) terminate flight following they should know and tell you "radar  
service terminated, remain on your present code for border crossing."  
Just because ATC radar can't see you doesn't mean other radars can't.

I don't know how this code procedure provides real security when, in  
addition to all the other tricks, you can just use a fake callsign. I  
think DHS just builds cases for repeat offenders. Jump through the  
hoops (eAPIS is the latest) and you may avoid raising too many red  
flags.

If you push the rules envelope be aware events like the Vancouver  
Winter Olympics will have CAP fighters with the latest airborne radar  
and infrared eyes.

Kent Murley
Seattle Center controller
XLRG, and I usually turn my Xponder on


On Aug 10, 2009, at 3:25 PM, Fred W. Anderka wrote:

>
> Contacted Minneapolis Ctr. for flight following, got a squawk code and
> following until was handed off to Toronto Ctr.  No flight plan, no  
> eAPIS and
> all that.  I presume that if you have an emergency and have to land US
> Homeland Security would be lenient.
>
> Fred Anderka
> C-GHOL

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list