REFLECTOR: New Topic: Nitrogen filled tires

Gary Stull gstull at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Apr 28 19:04:33 CDT 2009


In my opinion it's a bunch of hype. As an airline mechanic I know airline tires are filled with Nitrogen for 1 reason, moisture. It freezes at altitude when it's minus 60 degrees, causing a vibration when landing. Nitrogen has no moisture, unlike air. Air is about 80% Nitrogen, so why spend good money for only slightly purer gas to fill your tires? Spend your money on other things which will enhance your flying qualities. Just my 2 cents.
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: SlvEgl99 at aol.com 
  To: reflector at tvbf.org 
  Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:28 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR: New Topic: Nitrogen filled tires



  Has anyone any experience with inflating tires with nitrogen instead of normal air?

  Robert Wood
  In a message dated 4/28/2009 3:25:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, michalk at awpi.com writes:
    You should mention how much in $$$ to replace those blades, and how much 
    time for the replacement procedure.

    aminetech at bluefrog.com wrote:
    > Franklin Engine.  I have a total of 670 hours.  However 300 hours ago I delaminated the prop ends from a landing on a really rough grass strip that was more dirt than grass.  I replaced with new blades and delaminated ends on 2 of the new blades getting out of that strip.  I then repaired by filling the ends with structural adhesive and clamping them together, followed by a little sanding to restore the airfoil shape.  They have since worked as good as new.  The blades are very tough and should last a long time if I can keep them off the ground.
    >
    > John
    >
    > --- lesliemh at earthlink.net wrote:
    >
    > From: Leslie Huttunen <lesliemh at earthlink.net>
    > To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
    > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ivo
    > Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:14:58 -0700
    >
    > Hi John,  Thanks for your experience regarding the IVO.  If you could  
    > mention the engine type and number of hours on the prop, that would be  
    > very helpful.
    >
    > Leslie Huttunen
    > On Apr 28, 2009, at 7:44 AM, <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:
    >
    >   
    >> Guess it's time for someone who has experience using the IVO to  
    >> comment....  Yes, it's very important to check the bolt torque  
    >> hourly for the first 5 hours and until it becomes stable.  When you  
    >> first mount the blades, the torque will get loose with the plane  
    >> just sitting overnight.  After 20 hours or so the torque holds well,  
    >> and you pretty much can forget about it, but in spite of almost 500  
    >> hours with no problems, I still check it once in a while.  When I  
    >> bought my plane, different blades had been installed and the torque  
    >> checking frequency was not well explained to me.  After 2 hours of  
    >> test flying (and tightening), I flew 4.5 hours to home.  Upon  
    >> arrival, all 3 tapes were broken (it was aluminum tape, which is the  
    >> wrong tape as it gives a false positive indication) and all bolts  
    >> had about 1/2 turn of looseness.  I hadn't felt any vibration and  
    >> there was no damage around the bolt holes which is where any damage  
    >> would be.  The builder of my plane had changed out the 6" cr!
    >> ush plate for a 7" one.  Im sure that must help in securing the  
    >> blades.
    >>
    >> As far as 4 cyl Lycomings are concerned, I recall posts that state  
    >> that if the engine is unbalanced, then MT should not be used either.
    >>
    >> I believe anyone with experince with the IVO could safely test, or  
    >> oversee a test, on a Lycoming.  Or maybe we just need more data from  
    >> the Lycoming(s) using the IVO.  However, I think IVO would be  
    >> unwilling to sell to any engine off their approved list.  The last  
    >> time I spoke with them, I got the impression that the owner(s) were  
    >> focused on other endeavors, so perhaps they might want to sell to  
    >> someone who was willing to expand the envelope.
    >>
    >> The IVO is a great prop and I wouldn't consider anything else.
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >>
    >> --- scott at tnstaafl.net wrote:
    >>
    >> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
    >> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
    >> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ivo
    >> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:24:37 -0600
    >>
    >> Kurt, I agree.   Stupid is as stupid does.
    >>
    >> But installing an IVO on a IO360, when IVO specifically says NOT.   
    >> Just
    >> because I think they are playing it safe?  :-\
    >>
    >> Its difficult to believe that IVO would ignore over 95% of the market
    >> because they have a maintenance issue.   Though the aviation  
    >> industry is
    >> very unforgiving when it come to failures, and maybe they got scared
    >> they would loose the tiny portion they served because a few people  
    >> would
    >> not perform higher than normal maintenance procedures.
    >>
    >> The Bonanza almost died an early death because people didn't keep the
    >> control surfaces balanced and in rig to a higher standard than most
    >> other GA planes required up to that period in time. Just a maintenance
    >> issue.
    >>
    >> I have heard that the initial fix to prevent propeller  
    >> deconstruction in
    >> flight was the repeated checking of torque at prescribed intervals and
    >> some kind of tape that would reveal movement where movement was bad.
    >> This tape must absolutely be checked  prior to every flight.  Seems
    >> simple enough, but knowing some pilots I know it would fall off the
    >> pre-flight list after 15 or 20 negative checks.
    >>
    >> To my mind the problem is that the failure mode is catastrophic and  
    >> the
    >> possibility more than remote if the pilot is not almost perfect in the
    >> maintenance of the propeller.  I'm speaking of an installation on a
    >> Lycosaur boxer engine.   The smoother output installations being  
    >> immune
    >> to the problem.
    >>
    >> Personally I would be thrilled if IVO perfected a solution for my 520
    >> that was proven and didn't require a life and death inspection prior  
    >> to
    >> every flight.
    >>
    >> Scott
    >>
    >> nmflyer1 at aol.com wrote:
    >>     
    >>> Myself, I find a big span between bulletproof... and stupidproof. ..
    >>>
    >>> don't follow the 'structions... Here's your sign.
    >>>
    >>> KW
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> -----Original Message-----
    >>> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
    >>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
    >>> Sent: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 9:48 pm
    >>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ivo
    >>>
    >>> I'm afraid I fall into the "Bullet Proof" crowd.
    >>>
    >>> You shed a blade and the options rapidly(within seconds) go from  
    >>> few to
    >>> none.
    >>>
    >>> Scott
    >>>
    >>> nmflyer1 at aol.com <mailto:nmflyer1 at aol.com> wrote:
    >>>       
    >>>> One thing to note here. As far as I am aware, the only IVO's to fail
    >>>> have been due to people not following the mandatory instructions of
    >>>> the manufacturer. If you follow the rules, the prop appears to  
    >>>> have a
    >>>> long life and good performance. I asked Mark Machado  how he liked  
    >>>> the
    >>>> performance of the IVO on their 173FGE. He told me that the takeoff
    >>>> thrust was a cross between frightening and exhilarating.
    >>>>
    >>>> The prop definitely doesn't fall into the realm of put it on and
    >>>> forget about it. Personally I believe that a little extra  
    >>>> attention is
    >>>> worth the cost, performance, and company backing.
    >>>>
    >>>> Kurt
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> -----Original Message-----
    >>>> From: Dave Philipsen <velocity at davebiz.com <mailto:velocity at davebiz.com 
    >>>>         
    >>>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org  
    >>>> <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>>
    >>>> Sent: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 9:17 pm
    >>>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Running without prop
    >>>>
    >>>> Brian Michalk wrote:
    >>>>         
    >>>>> Okay, I'll jump in here...
    >>>>>
    >>>>> What I wonder, is if one took the rotational inertia of the MT, and
    >>>>> duplicated it by adding a plate to the IVO to increase the
    >>>>>           
    >>>> rotational > inertia, would the IVO still fail? There's no question
    >>>> that the > pulses on the IO360 are larger than on the Franklin.  
    >>>> Maybe
    >>>> increasing > the inertia of the system could reduce the negative
    >>>> torque pulses?
    >>>> Just thinking aloud here and from my experience with automobile
    >>>> engines. Would a device similar to the harmonic balancer on an auto
    >>>> engine work? As I remember, it is essentially a fairly massive iron
    >>>> ring with some kind of rubber sandwich between it and the hub. I  
    >>>> think
    >>>> the rubber absorbs some of the harmonics.
    >>>>
    >>>> Dave Philipsen
    >>>> Velocity STD FG
    >>>> N83DP
    >>>>
    >>>> _______________________________________________
    >>>> To change your email address, visit
    >>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    >>>>
    >>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/ 
    >>>> gallery> <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
    >>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    >>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
    >>>>         
    >>>> <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
    >>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
    >>>>
    >>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>>> *An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
    >>>> <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220572846x1201387511/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=AprilExcScore427NO62 
    >>>>         
    >>>>> * <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220572846x1201387511/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=AprilExcScore427NO62%3E* 
    >>>>>
    >>>>>           
    >>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>>>
    >>>> _______________________________________________
    >>>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    >>>>
    >>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery 
    >>>>         
    >>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    >>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
    >>>>         
    >>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
    >>>>         
    >>> _______________________________________________
    >>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    >>>
    >>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/ 
    >>> gallery>
    >>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    >>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
    >>>       
    >>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
    >>>
    >>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>> *An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
    >>> <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220572846x1201387511/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=AprilExcScore427NO62 
    >>>       
    >>>> *
    >>>>         
    >>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>>
    >>> _______________________________________________
    >>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    >>>
    >>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    >>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    >>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    >>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
    >>>       
    >>
    >> _______________________________________________
    >> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    >>
    >> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/ 
    >> maillist.html
    >>
    >> _______________________________________________
    >> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    >>
    >> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/ 
    >> maillist.html
    >>     
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    >
    > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
    >
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
    >
    > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
    >   

    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090428/0ce02069/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list