REFLECTOR: Running without prop

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 26 23:00:52 CDT 2009


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:45 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Running without prop
> We run auto engines uncoupled, yet I've been told not to run an aircraft
> engine without a prop.
> Why?  I really don't see any difference nor reason not to?
> Is this some attribute of the radial engine that  has incorrectly
> migrated to the boxer engine through association?
> Scott

When I was building the DIY EFI for my Starduster I needed to run the engine 
and still be able to get up close to it without the danger of a swinging 
prop.  I had initially tried running with just the Aluminum Lycoming 
flywheel.   It started and ran but low rpms was really ragged.
I re-drilled a Ford truck engine flywheel and machined a bushing to ensure 
precise centering.  Worked great.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
Starduster  N666SK
KR2         N24TC
W7QJQ

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: L320_1.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 80586 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090426/cc0138de/attachment-0001.jpg>


More information about the Reflector mailing list