REFLECTOR: Engine Lubrication

aminetech at bluefrog.com aminetech at bluefrog.com
Thu Apr 23 16:28:18 CDT 2009


Interestng idea.  If I've done my rough calculations correctly, a pint of water would cool 8 qts of oil by 85 F.

--- michalk at awpi.com wrote:

From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine Lubrication
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:54:40 -0500

Interesting on the mineral oil comment.

So, I have a crazy idea regarding engine cooling.

If there is an emergency need for engine cooling, like near or beyond 
redline, would the introduction of water as a fine mist into the engine 
case be a way to cool the engine without damage to the engine?

One would think that the water would flash to vapor and be carried out 
the case ventilation tube in very short order.

aminetech at bluefrog.com wrote:
> Just returned from S&F.  I attended a very intersting forum on 
> lubrication and I plan to make some changes unless someone on the list 
> convinces me otherwise.  According to the speaker, all deposits come 
> from the fuel and not the oil.  All aircraft engines have at least 0.1 
> gph of fuel blow-by.  Fresh fuel and completely burned fuel at not too 
> bad, but partially burned fuel is corrosive.  Oils contain additives 
> that neutralize the acidity, but the oil becomes more "sticky" in the 
> process.  Guess that explains why I'm finding stuck rings in my 
> Franklin.  The speaker said that regular oils do not impede the 
> break-in process, and he has yet to find a valid reason for using 
> mineral oil.  One gallon of fuel yeilds one gallon of water when 
> burned, so I guess there will always be water in the oil.  There's 
> more, but I just wanted to pass that along and see what others think.
>  
> John
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list