REFLECTOR: One hundred miles per gallon
Al Gietzen
ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Apr 21 19:21:52 CDT 2009
trying to keep us in the dark Al? :-)
No; I just didn't want everyone to know about my bounced, crooked takeoff.
But, darn; now I'm going to have to explain:-).
The runway at my airport was lengthened on the south end by 1000 ft or so at
some point; and there is a 'bump' and the junction. If 36 is the active
runway, that's about the point where the plane is getting ready to lift - so
the bump puts me off the runway - but it settles back down; and with just a
bit of cross wind - well you get the picture. So that's what happened
Sunday when Chuck and friend came to have ride with me. No big deal really.
Now, on subject - I can generally get 21 mpg at about 160 - 165 KTAS at say
8500'. Now I'm motivated to see how much more than that I can get. (I have
a mpg readout on the engine monitor, so it's easy.)
Al (SE RG 20B)
Al Gietzen wrote:
>
> Oops - This was NOT supposed to go to the REFLECTOR - Sorry
>
> -----Original Message-----
> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
> *On Behalf Of *Al Gietzen
> *Sent:* Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:43 AM
> *To:* 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: One hundred miles per gallon
>
> Chuck;
>
> That's pretty amazing - I was going to say "unbelievable" but I guess
> I do believe it. But he flies alone in what is realistically a single
> place airplane; and has spent most of his adult life making it efficient.
>
> I think if I slowed down to about 125 kts, and leaned aggressively, I
> could get 30 mpg - and I think I have 3 times the airplane he hasJ. I
> need to do some more adjusting on getting the EGTs the same at lean
> cruise conditions, and I haven't played with the timing at all; which
> is something I can do from the cockpit in-flight.
>
> BTW; regarding the VGs - it's OK to put them on the wings, and not the
> canard; but not vice versa. It actually reduces the chances of deep
> stall - reduces the stall speed of the wing.
>
> Enjoyed your visit on Sunday. Hope the bounced, crooked takeoff didn't
> scare anybody. I wasn't concerned, but I thought later that if I had
> been a passenger, I would have been.
>
> Al
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090421/e62f7e69/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list