REFLECTOR: Overhead NACA's (was "Rudder Pedal stops")

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Apr 15 10:33:27 CDT 2009


Doug, anyway to reduce the pressure on the back side of your oil cooler?

Interesting about cylinder temps.  I had always thought "lower was
better". 

Scott

Douglas Holub wrote:
> I would remove the VGs in front of your NACAs to get the cylinder
> temperatures up to 360. ECI recommends that the cylinder temperatures
> be 400-425 in cruise for a parallel valve 4-cylinder Lycoming with 500
> F redline.  If you've got an angle valve Lycoming I think the redline
> is lower, maybe 475?  My friend had a sticking valve on his engine,
> and the mechanic told him that it was because the cylinders were
> running too cool. His temps are in the low 300s.
>
> Speaking of cooling, I've got a question for the collective,
> (especially for Al if you're out there.)  I need to run my engine
> below 75% power to keep the oil temperatures below 230 degrees on a 75
> degree day like yesterday. My redline is 245. I went from a divergent
> wall NACA to a parallel wall NACA to a belly scoop. The oil keeps
> getting cooler, but I need another 20 degrees to be able to fly much
> in Texas in the summer time. My scoop has a 5 x 2 inch opening that
> smoothly diverges to the size of the oil cooler 2 feet later. In other
> words, it has an exansion plenum. Here's my question: I know that the
> drag will increase if I make the entrance larger and don't have an
> expansion plenum, but will cooling also increase? Or will the air
> spilling out of the entrance to the scoop just make things worse?
>
> Doug Holub
> Standard FG in phase I flight testing
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 9:33 AM, victor taylor <velocityoner at yahoo.com
> <mailto:velocityoner at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     I converted my Velocity from the updraft cooling to the cut out
>     home made naca vents on the top. My Velocity runs as cool as my
>     Cessna 150 with temps running 310 cht and 190 oil. I had to add a
>     small airfoil in front of the exhaust exit on the oil cooler after
>     we test flew it. Also without the vortex generators in front of
>     the nacas it will raise the cht by 50 degrees and the oil temp to
>     220.
>
>     --- On *Wed, 4/15/09, Lawrence J. Epstein, MD
>     /<ljepstein at hotmail.com <mailto:ljepstein at hotmail.com>>/* wrote:
>
>
>         From: Lawrence J. Epstein, MD <ljepstein at hotmail.com
>         <mailto:ljepstein at hotmail.com>>
>         Subject: REFLECTOR: Overhead NACA's (was "Rudder Pedal stops")
>         To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
>         <reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>>
>         Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 7:45 AM
>
>
>         You guys are "fastbuild" compared to me (13 years and
>         counting). Mine is so old that NACA's hadn't been invented yet
>         (not really) ( we had to walk uphill to school, both ways, in
>         the snow, no shoes………)
>
>          
>
>         Anyway…………..The factory sent me the templates and I cut them
>         out myself (no opinion as to whether these are real NACA's or
>         not). I cut everything except the forward most part and just
>         pushed the skin down to the desired depth. I used 1/4" foam
>         for the sides and covered them with bid. About 6-10 hours work.
>
>          
>
>         Larry Epstein
>
>          
>
>         *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
>         <mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org>
>         [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
>         <mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org>] *On Behalf Of
>         *jerry at jlbent.com <mailto:jerry at jlbent.com>
>         *Sent:* Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:22 AM
>         *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>         *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Rudder Pedal stops
>
>          
>
>         Just to add to the challenge on the NACA ducts, you might want
>         to consider the efficency of the factory design.  While they
>         look like NACA ducts, they are not.  Andy Millin has spent a
>         lot of time researching the topic and has a spreadsheet that
>         does the calculations to produce the needed profile.  One very
>         big difference (and maybe the most important) is that the
>         factory solution does not have an airfoil on top of the
>         opening.  Of course the amount of work needed to create a real
>         NACA vs buying the factory pre-fab is not trivial.
>
>         I too am a SLOOOW builder and have a kit that did not come
>         with the pre-fab'd NACA's.  Mine did not even have the NACAs
>         drawn on the fuselage.  I had read Andy's information and
>         decided to build my own.  Just let me say that one can get
>         really obsessive about the details.  I would say that Brett
>         and I have at least 50 hours of work on them.  Some is my
>         learning curve.  Some is just ! the details.  We did the extra
>         work to make the floor of the ramp flat, which is not what you
>         get if you just cut the outline, build the side walls and call
>         it done.
>
>         As of yet, I can not say that the true NACA will be
>         better.  Hangar 18 suggest NACA's and believes they are
>         better.  I do know that those in the Vari community think the
>         Velo factory NACA are just wrong and will produce more drag
>         and be less efficient than a proper NACA.  For the amount of
>         work involved in both hands on construction and the amount of
>         head scratching needed to build true NACA's, it is very hard
>         not to go with the factory pre-fabs.
>
>         If you decide to go with the true NACA, let me know and we can
>         talk details.  Maybe I can save you some time.
>
>         Jerry Brainard
>
>
>
>         	
>
>         -------Original Message-------
>         From: Richard D. Wallace, Jr.
>         Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Rudder Pedal stops
>         Sent: Apr 14 '09 7:08pm
>
>         Noel:
>
>         I'm on the slow path also.  I got my kit for Christmas 2000.  My
>         fuselage has the NACA scoops outlined on the top also.  What
>         do you
>         make the sides out of - BID?  Also what is the dimension on the
>         opening in the firewall?
>
>         Rick
>
>         On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:28 PM,  <gattenby at tulsaconnect.com
>         <http://mbox.jlbent.com/compose.php?to=gattenby@tulsaconnect.com>>
>         wrote:
>         > Rick.
>         >
>         > I'm taking the slow path to building an SUV as well (8 years
>         and counting)
>         > I've not done the pedal things as I'm missing some parts.
>         (got my kit 2nd
>         > hand)
>         >
>         > The NACA scoops can be bui! lt without the prefab inserts.
>         > My kit predated the inserts.  They weren't that big a deal.
>         > The kit had the lines drawn on the top, and I just cut them.
>         >
>         > If you need templates just let me know and I'll trace mine
>         on paper.
>         >
>         > Noel
>         >
>         > On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:30:24 -0400
>         >  "Richard D. Wallace, Jr." <rdwallace57 at gmail.com
>         <http://mbox.jlbent.com/compose.php?to=rdwallace57@gmail.com>>
>         wrote:
>         >> Guys:
>         >>
>         >> I don't provide comments (lack of experience and I have
>         >>a single door,
>         >> fixed gear, dual yoke control SUV) but I do and have
>         >>read all e-mails
>         >> back and forth.  I seem to be just behind in
>         >>construction than some
>         >> and the need to ask questions is always unnecessary
>         >>because the
>         >> ! subject has already been discussed.  However, I have
>         >>come up with two
>         >> (2) questions:  1) do you need stops for the break
>         >>pedals so they are
>         >> not putting pressure on the master brake cylinder heads
>         >>when the
>         >> springs are pulling and your foot is not on the pedals?
>         >>and 2)  is
>         >> there a way to make the two (2) larger NACA scoops on
>         >>top and in the
>         >> back for the engine cooling from the existing fuselage
>         >>or do you
>         >> really need to buy the pre-fabricated ones from
>         >>Velocity?
>         >>
>         >> Thanks!
>         >>
>         >> Rick Wallace
>         >> _______________________________________________
>         >> To change your email address, visit
>         >>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>         >>
>         >> Visi! t the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>         <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>         >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>         >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>         <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>         >> Check old archives:
>         >>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>         >
>         >
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > To change your email address, visit
>         > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>         >
>         > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>         <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>         > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>         > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>         <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>         > Check old archives:
>         http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>         <http://www.tvbf.%21%0d%0a%20org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
>         >
>         _______________________________________________
>         To change your email address, visit
>         http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>         Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>         <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>         user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>         Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>         <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>         Check old archives:
>         http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>          
>         -----Inline Attachment Follows-----
>
>
>
>         _______________________________________________
>         To change your email address, visit
>         http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>         Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>         <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>         user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>         Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>         <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>         Check old archives:
>         http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     To change your email address, visit
>     http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>     Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>     <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>     Check old archives:
>     http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 260 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090415/7d16e376/attachment.pgp>


More information about the Reflector mailing list