REFLECTOR: Flying to Bahamas
Richard J. Gentil
richard at naples-air-center.com
Sat Apr 11 14:27:31 CDT 2009
Hey Mitch,
I have a couple of hundred flights to the Bahamas, I can recommend
better places then Freeport to go to. Simple first trip is Marsh Harbour
on Abaco, but I can name a dozen more good places to go. Do stay away
from Freeport, Nassau, and Bimini. (The Cruise Ships go in there and the
tourists drive the locals crazy. The outer islands, the locals are
actually glad to see you.)
Coming into the U.S. Avoid KPBI and KMIA. (KMIA does not want you there
period, so _*DO NOT GO*_.)
Paperwork is not hard, I would recommend getting it and having it filled
out before you go, if you do, they will figure you know what you are
doing and be a lot nicer to you in the Bahamas when you land to clear
Customs and Immigration. (If you show up with nothing done, they tend to
get annoyed.)
When flying to and from, fly above 8,000 feet, that way you talk to
Miami Center. When descending to the Island you are going to, make a
note of the last frequency you spoke to Miami Center on so when you
leave you can talk to them on the way out too. Miami FSS is remoted on
118.4 out of New Providence and 126.9 out of Grand Bahama should you not
be able to file on the ground or for opening a VFR Flight plan.
If you have any questions about the flight, call me 239-643-1717 x0 I
would be happy to help.
Richard
Jmbmitch33 wrote:
> Been to Cayman many times and that was my initial first pick but due
> to Cuba and other "red tape" I elected to make the Bahamas my first
> "over the pond" trip. Thansks for the advise. I noticed you said 12"
> numbers....is that a requirement to have numbers that big??? or does
> that just make it easier?? My numbers are on the outside
> wingtips....where did you tape 12" numbers??? on the body by the
> doors?? Also, what airport in Nassau did you go to?? Freeport isnt
> set in stone yet so we're still looking at different resorts.
>
> Thanks
> Mitch
>
> personal email is jmbmitch33 at comcast.net
> <mailto:jmbmitch33 at comcast.net> if you dont want to croud up the
> reflector email group.
>
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> *From:* KMis178813 at aol.com <mailto:KMis178813 at aol.com>
> *To:* reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
> *Sent:* Friday, April 10, 2009 11:13 PM
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Flying to Bahamas
>
> Mitch
> I am based out of Vero Beach Fl. and have been to the Bahamas
> several times in my Velo. Going to the Islands has never been a
> problem coming home is different. I have never been to Freeport so
> you are looking for other info there but I have been to Nassau and
> North Eluthera. The English is sometimes a little different on the
> radio just be aware Mon!
> I called ahead in Nassau for hangar space and was quoted
> $65/knight. Not so bad considering paradise Island (the Premier
> hot Spot on the Island) was $450/knight for the family. Ramp tie
> down was $16. I opted for Hangar at the end of Summer with all
> that hot Sun on my Velo. After 4 day of hangar space the FBO
> charged me $16 total. I think they were charging others to see a
> Velo?? Nothing but NICE People Every where you go!!! Your
> Experience may vary?
> Getting back to the USA was a lot more difficult with all the
> notifications needed ahead of time. It's hard to communicate
> to anyone from over there (which by the way IS the best part). I
> had 12 inch numbers taped on with duct tape both for the ride
> there and back, but I took them off while there so it would not
> screw up the paint. As far I have seen, as long as the fat guy at
> US custom's can see the N number without getting out of his chair,
> it's all good. I cleared customs at Fort Pierce and had the kids
> at school orientation with their hair still wet from the lazy
> river? Life does not get much better!!!
> Next trip Cayman. Over fly Cuba?? If something bad happens I'll
> call for help!!
>
> Great info at www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com
> <http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com> Jim can talk you
> through the whole thing! $29 membership fee comes with 1 $30 Cuban
> over flight permit each year and all the maps and information
> needed for your trip. A Great deal!!
>
> Ken Mishler
>
> In a message dated 4/10/2009 9:41:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> Jmbmitch33 at comcast.net writes:
>
> Getting ready to fly to Freeport Grand Bahamas soon, anyone
> already done so?? I know several "V" planes reside near the
> boarders near the coast, if possiable, I'd like to get some
> usefull "inside" information other than the obvious fileing an
> Int. Flight Plan. Nothing like getting it from people who
> already been there, done that, and got a Tshirt!!
>
> Thanks
> Mitch
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or
> less <http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000001>.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090411/e75b8c94/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list